Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Anyone had their 5 litre dyno tuned?

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Has anyone had their 304 dyno tuned / ecu upgraded with only basic mods such as exhaust and cai etc? If so what gains did you get, how was the throttle response, fuel economy etc afterwards? Did it feel like a new car to drive?

Mine is headed for a Kalmaker ECU upgrade and dyno tune next weekend, quite looking forward to it.

v8ondubz

L.ove O.f V. 8 E.ngine
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vt 5 litre
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/v8-development-modification/102311-urgent-help-pls.html

heres my post b4 might help except i got a cam change. but i can almost assure u that you'll be very happy with the result plus improves fuel economy too. saying that you'll get over it then would want some more power since already tasted some power. im in that dilemma now even though i spin my wheels even on second if i plant my foot down lol. happy with 192rwkw for now but couldnt wait for some more GL

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
Obviously i don't know much about tuning but i cant see it being worth the $1000+ (?) unless your car has at least a cam :)

Do you have a foam tune? if you had an ls1 i would say go for it but i get the feeling it wouldn't be worth the money on a 5L

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It'll be just the same as the update I'm not sending anymore :), it'll gain the power that's missing from running rich at full throttle and that's it, fuel economy shouldn't change. But if a 1000 bucks isn't much then it cant hurt that's for sure

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
VP SS Auto - 185i memcal, extractors, 3" single system, high flow cat and mufflers, 9mm leads, NGK plugs, modified CAI with K&N filter, 98ulp - 147rwkw mainline dyno. Its not about numbers!

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Thanks guys!

It'll be just the same as the update I'm not sending anymore :), it'll gain the power that's missing from running rich at full throttle and that's it, fuel economy shouldn't change. But if a 1000 bucks isn't much then it cant hurt that's for sure

No offense here man, it's just easier to have it dyno tuned as opposed to sending memcals back and forth etc. More of a convinience factor. Tax return is paying for it anyways ;)

A few hours on the dyno and bang it's done. Then just gotta go back for touch ups when i need them. Saves me having to hit the post office etc with time i don't have. Plus the tuning there and then to how my car runs, whereas i am guessing with flashing memcals it's sort of guessing as you don't have the reading right there about how the car is running etc.

I by no means know much about tuning, this is just sort of what i know already.

v8_bomberdore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 5L
$1000 thats a rip off, my tuner was going to charge me $175 per hour and he said it was a max 1-2 hours , but greenfoam offers his tunes for $50 if u supply your memcal, or a $100 if he supplies the memcal, that a very good deal and u wont beat that, i know where my money would be going

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
That's fantastic, i didn't ask whether you thought the price was a rip off, and i am well aware about Foamy's tunes, as my car is already running one of his tunes. I didn't ask what you thought was a good deal either mate. You spend your money how you please, i'll spend my money how i please :) :thumbsup:

v8_bomberdore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 5L
That's fantastic, i didn't ask whether you thought the price was a rip off, and i am well aware about Foamy's tunes, as my car is already running one of his tunes. I didn't ask what you thought was a good deal either mate. You spend your money how you please, i'll spend my money how i please :) :thumbsup:
try not to take offence to this , but u sound like u have a pole stuck up your arse, this is a forum and u have to expect to get different opinoins, iam all for one on helping people out, as i hate to see people being ripped off but good luck with what ever it is your trying to do

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Thanks mate, i do have a pole up my arse, too many idiots **** me at work from day to day, so you i don't blame myself for having a telephone pole shoved up there :) ;) :thumbsup:

I asked for people's opinions and comments on their cars if they had been DYNO TUNED, not what people's opinions were of what i should do with my cash, and what they thought the best deal was for tunes, and if they thought the price was a rip off etc.