Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone help with extractors/exhaust pleasee!?

mr_knockers

bow chika wow wow.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pack Ute
Hey guys, i priced up a lukey system about $580 with extractors and 2.5inch sport xhaust
for my VS S pack '98. anyone know someone that can install it for me cheaply around perth.?
im not really sure how to do it; and would like to avoid paying exhaust shops around $500+ for labour... any suggestions would be appreciated......

cheers boyss.

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
Depends, do you want to learn a bit and be able to do it next time or be able to help a mate wen he puts his in (if he were to) i recon learning a bit, research on the net and find out how to do yourself, that way u get ur job done and costs nothing AND u get the experience.

I think the hardest part will be just gettin the extractors off, to dissassemble an exhaust system its not that hard, especially from the cat conv. just unbolt the 2 bolts connecting it on either side of the exhaust and unhook the bands that pull the exhaust close to the car (next to muffler in middle and near tip at end). Where the exhaust goes from straight to up, bend, down then striaght again, there is a twist/ glued connection at the up or down part, with enoguh fiddling with/ twisting, you can disconnect it.

Depending on if your exhaust system is alredy designed for a VS is also another question.

hope my little info helped you out a bit mate.

mr_knockers

bow chika wow wow.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pack Ute
yeah; but if i'm gonna have a shot at it, i at least want some help from someone that knows what there doing, the exhaust does suit my car; however it says i may need to weld something to the cat, im pretty sure its the pipe that comes down into it.
also is lukey good? or should i go pacemaker...

cheers for the help

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
You haven't described enough of what you got a price on. Is it a cat-back system with extractors? If so, you will need to to some welding as most extractors need to be adapted to the front of your cat. Find a mate who knows a bit about cars and get him to give you a hand. That's what I do for my mates and I'm still learning, with ev ery new car they get, I get the experience on it lol starting to mount up. So tell us what you have and I can give you a pretty good idea of what you have to do over the forum.

mr_knockers

bow chika wow wow.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pack Ute
im getting lukey extractors, which im told must be welded to the cat, because they arent' flanged or something. and im getting the middle pipe and the tail pipe piece from lukey; (keeping stock cat). im a pretty **** welder, i might have some mates that can weld, but no welding equipment. :/ and my dad is reluctant to do it in the backyard, becos we can't jack it up much...
anything else you need to know?

cheers;

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
im getting lukey extractors, which im told must be welded to the cat, because they arent' flanged or something. and im getting the middle pipe and the tail pipe piece from lukey; (keeping stock cat). im a pretty **** welder, i might have some mates that can weld, but no welding equipment. :/ and my dad is reluctant to do it in the backyard, becos we can't jack it up much...
anything else you need to know?

cheers;

Ok. You'll have to check the ends of the extractors to see what flange is on there (i don't think they woul make them as a slip fit) so you can then go and buy yourself a set of flanges from an exhaust shop.
You pretty much answered your own question though, you have to find a mate with a MIG (preferably) and wheel it around to his place. I do cars fine in the driveway with no hoist, just ramps, i'm not a small boy either, so a hoist is just a luxury in this instance.
From the cat back is a true bolt-up affair, old exhaust systems can be a bit of a pain to undo, I usually just cut bad ones off with a cutting implement. The extractors aren't much harder to fit, you just need to take your time and be patient. Pre soaking the threads with WD-40 is a good idea too.
If the extractor collectors line up with the existing Y pipe, its a cut and shut affair with the welding, but if you have to fabricate a Y pipe to go from the extractors to the cat, then it could become a little more intricate, something I've had to do a few times.