Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone here done a climate control conversion?

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
I posted this question before but unfortunately didn't get complete answer as to what needs to be done.

Anyone here did it? I've got the box and the controls laying around in the garage and i wouldn't mind putting some time into installing it. Just want to know what else i need.

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
Just searching this myself and saw your question in 'most recent'. No, I haven't but I've already done a bit of reading so can tell you the following. You will need an appropriate BCM I believe (Lux or High), air temp sensors and tubing (under dash, under hood), ambient light sensor as well as the HVAC you have plus the ECC unit. I've got 2/3 of that ready to go, everything other than a couple of sensors and the tubing.

I've got more reading to do yet but I wouldn't be bothering except the dash has to come out anyway to replace the heater core so I'll do the evaporator while it's all out too. I've already replaced every other component on the A/C with all genuine parts (lasted over 13 years so won't risk after market junk) so might as well do the evaporator at the same time even though it's working fine ATM.

I'm not looking at starting for a couple of weeks as I've got too much on my plate right now but if I discover anything worth mentioning I'll do so. Be great if you could do the same. I know it's been done before so not impossible but a reasonably big, possibly somewhat complicated job.

There's a thread http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vt-vx-holden-commodore-1997-2002/142371-climate-control-conversion-success-not-so-hard-others-say.html that might help. The OP has gone about it the same way I am as I'm putting in a full Stato dash so for mine it was easier to get a Stato BCM and loom. He did it in 12 hours. Highly doubt I will as I'll be doing it as I have an hour or two to spare.

Good luck.

Last edited:

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
Wow! This is officially the hardest info to get!

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Probably cos its not worth the trouble or time..
You will need to rip the dash out of your car and another car and swap the lot and degas and regas it all..

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
So I'm in the middle of doing this. Massive job. Being that I'm going to a Stato BCM there's more to it than just a dash loom. Said dash loom actually runs right across the front of the car to the lights, ABS plugs, horns, fog lights etc to start but on top of that the "High" BCM doesn't fit up to my original "Mid" body loom either so my interior is now completely stripped to fit the Stato body loom too. I can't say it's been hard but it is pretty time consuming. I have to remove my drivers side strut brace bracket as it impedes the loom going through the firewall and some clown stripped the top off the strut (the bit you hold while loosening the top nut) so that's another issue I have to deal with.

If anyone wants to know BTW, the Body Loom incorporates everything across the floorpan side to side from the electric seats, air bag sensors blah blah all the way through to the rear ABS etc. so I wouldn't recommend this job to the faint hearted. If the idiot hadn't stripped the top of the strut though, for me the most difficult thing has been getting all the plugs and sockets apart that have been joined for 15 years. Stripping the dash and removing the old HVAC was pretty easy but I've had my head unit, cluster, console etc. in and out several times so I'd been half way there before on multiple occasions.

So once I sort that out it's time to reassemble but before I do I want to check the air mix motor is functioning. When I had the air-con de-gassed the A/C guy suggested it and I thought it was a good idea as I don't want to get it all put back together only to fins there's a fault with the air mix motor and I have to pull it all apart again.

Can anyone tell me distinctly how I might check it. Attempting to close the door manually has resistance and I don't want to force it and besides it doesn't tell me whether the motor is functioning. There is a red and a black wire (among others) running in to the motor via a plug which I'll take a punt is 12v power and earth but I don't want to 'F' anything so any correct advice would be appreciated. Guesses aren't worth squat to me as I can take a guess too. I need to know for sure. Any quality knowledge would be most appreciated.

Edit: Woops, I just realised this is in the VY thread and what I'm doing is on a VT. Does it need to be moved? Any other course of action or is it OK to stay here?

MEESEN

"SOON"
Reaction score
Members Ride
'03 VY
You do not need to change BCM!!, I can supply looms and instructions on how too do this conversion, all you will need is a CC HVAC box, CC Controls, sensors and of coarse the time and effort to pull your whole dash out

Gmhcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz svz and vp calais
Could you tell me more about the looms you cam supply

Alex frank

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy commodore s pac
You do not need to change BCM!!, I can supply looms and instructions on how too do this conversion, all you will need is a CC HVAC box, CC Controls, sensors and of coarse the time and effort to pull your whole dash out
How??