Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone here own or owned a 1990's lexus?

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
Hi,this is aimed at people that actually own or have owned a 1990's model lexus,ie lexus sc300/sc400/toyota soarer?
what are they like compared to a vr ss as ive always had holdens but im thinking of getting something else but dont want to sell my car and regret it later basically?
im wondering things like,
:is the 4.0L v8 or twin turbo 6 better?
:what are they like on fuel?
:what do they handle like?
:is there anything common that goes wrong with them or is there anything that needs to be replaced every 50,000-100,000kms ie timing belts etc?
:what are they like to work on?
:are parts expensive?
is there anything else that i may be interested in knowing about them?.
ive googled about them but want actual comments from people that have owned them
i know it might seem silly asking this on a commodore forum but serious answers please,none of this crap about they are **** because they are just ****,please give me a reason why they are good or ****...

Low_VX_Taxi

Blanned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blundstone boots
Hi,this is aimed at people that actually own or have owned a 1990's model lexus,ie lexus sc300/sc400/toyota soarer?.

I owned a 1991 Toyota soarer GTT-L, my experience was a nightmare and everything failed on it and it ended up costing shiploads and kept failing to the point where I got rid of it....

I got a lemon but there are some really good ones out there plus a huge following for them so they are a good little car and pretty cheap now.
what are they like compared to a vr ss as ive always had holdens but im thinking of getting something else but dont want to sell my car and regret it later basically?.

Interior is far better, full electrics, better seats etc. They are faster on paper etc and IMO are better but your comparing a family sedan with a sporty coupe.....

im wondering things like,
:is the 4.0L v8 or twin turbo 6 better?

The twin turbos are great fun but getting harder to find a non thrashed one. V8s are soooo cheap at the moment and with the savings a Loy of people choose to strap a blower to them. Honestly it's a matter of what YOU want both are relatively good for what they are.

Both are now twenty years old so plan to spend a bit of money to repair age related things (suspension bushes, air bags fail in the v8 models, fuel pump ecus in both variants etc.)

:what are they like on fuel?

4.0ltr V8
City/Highway: 8.0/14.1km/L (A/T)

3.0ltr 2jz (turbo):
City/Highway 8.1/15.5km/L (A/T)

2.5ltr 1jz twin turbo:

City/Highway 8.9/16.7km/L (A/T)

:what do they handle like?

As mentioned the Suspension is close to twenty years old if factory, air bag suspension does fail due to age and is expensive to replace with new air bags.

Mine had tems and original suspension and handled pretty well for it's age, most upgrade the suspension anyway.... Also these cars are big luxury barges so they do have a lot of weight to throw around:

Curb weight 1,540 kg (3,400 lb) to 1,730 kg (3,800 lb)

:is there anything common that goes wrong with them or is there anything that needs to be replaced every 50,000-100,000kms ie timing belts etc?.

Turbos seem to go (again twenty years old), rebuilding them is about 3.5 thousand for the twins at GCG turbos...

Blinky digital dash due to failed capacitors (bout 250 in NSW to get fixed).

Fuel pump ecus (bout $300 from Toyota).

Timing belt does need to be done every 100,000kms but most have been done.

Coil packs (they are coil on spark so get warm and due to age etc fail).

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head but generally just bear in mind it's twenty years old so it will have similar age related issue to any twenty year old car.

:what are they like to work on?
Body panel is easy but engine is a tight fit with carloads of wiring so a bit of a pain in the arse, buy an oil filter relocation kit as they are in a very painful position.

:are parts expensive? .

You need to get parts from Toyota as there isn't much aftermarket coverage for parts (for the 1jz in my eperience) so it does get pricey for parts, I will pm you where to order from :)

is there anything else that i may be interested in knowing about them?.

I will pm you a good website that has heaps of info on them, main thing is there age

I got a lemon that ended up costing me a bucketload and giving back nothing so I am a bit jilted with them so probably best I don't give my opinion......

ive googled about them but want actual comments from people that have owned them
i know it might seem silly asking this on a commodore forum but serious answers please,none of this crap about they are **** because they are just ****,please give me a reason why they are good or ****

As above I will send a good website, easier to hear from those that own em than those who don't :D

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Hi,this is aimed at people that actually own or have owned a 1990's model lexus,ie lexus sc300/sc400/toyota soarer?..... i am a RAWS importer and have imported soarers (sc400's same car) since 96'

what are they like compared to a vr ss..... no idea, ive never had a VR ss

:is the 4.0L v8 or twin turbo 6 better?..... depends on what you like? the V8 are pretty gutless, and the turbos are not all that reliable. if i had to i would probably go turbos, but the V8 does come fitted with a few more luxury options.

:what are they like on fuel?.... horrible

:what do they handle like? ....horrible. and worst of all if you get the V8 with airbag suspension, your looking at a $1000 repair bill for ONE (1) shock absorber.

:is there anything common that goes wrong with them or is there anything that needs to be replaced every 50,000-100,000kms ie timing belts etc?... timing belt every 100k kms is standard for ALL jap cars, the shocks die on them quite commonly, other than that i have heard the V8's are pretty reliable ol' engine. turbos can get a bit "tappy" when the KMs build up, but nothing too bad. i have had a couple of ABS pumps die too. not cheap tp fix either.

:what are they like to work on? ... horible

:are parts expensive? INSANELY!!!! generic stuff like oil and air filters are just ryco part numbers, but everything else on the car is WAY overpriced from toyota. we paid 900 bucks for two front seatbelts.

is there anything else that i may be interested in knowing about them?. they are ugly and getting really long in the tooth now.

hope thats been of some help. i know i got a pretty negative reflection of them, but they were a really nice car when they were new and looked after, but if you are looking at one thats been in OZ for a while you are asking for trouble IMO.

jujibelly

ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
My friends cousin loves them had a v8 and a TT6 but opted for the v8 when it came to sell one.

gambler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS + HZ Kingswood
I've owned two of the V8 Soarers. The motor is reliable as all hell. Suspension issue with airbags that people mention is easily fixable by installing supra bilstein suspension. I have done this in one of mine. Improves handling no doubt and lowers the car a fair bit. Interior is top of the line, though some are very worn being 20 year old cars. Parts are expensive but many are easily sourced second hand in good condition, or are the exact same part as Supra parts but with different part numbers.

for example, lower control arms for a soarer from toyota are about 1500 each, supra uses the same part, from toyota (with the different part number) 360 each.

The V8 is definitely slower than the twin turbo, but comes with all the luxury options you could ask for. For the price of the cars these days, (around 3 grand for a V8 in decent nick, more for great nick) you're getting soooo much car for your money.

Modifying them is the expensive part. VR SS is a much more sensible option in terms of costs to fix/maintain and aftermarket parts.

You'll get 12l per 100 k's out of one around town with sensible driving, up over 15 if you're having a bit of fun.

I absolutely love soarers but you're comparing two COMPLETELY different cars. If you want to drive anywhere with more than one passenger, keep the commodore. insurance should also be less.

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
3rd party fire and theft insurance was exactly the same price for both, i do like them but i think ill keep the ss,easier with kids etc,