Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone in the Military?

Chapman2233

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hey guys, recently decided to join the Military and I have passed every stage so far and am just waiting for my enlistment, I joined as AFPOL (Air Force Police and Investigations).

I'm curious as to whether anyone has ever joined or experienced the Australian Defense Force, if so, how as it coping with the physical training during basic training (for me its at Wagga Wagga for 10.4 weeks) and did you enjoy it overall?

Looking to see what people went through!

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Going to assume you've been in front of the selection board too? Also that you'll have to go to Holsworthy for another 10 weeks.

Don't ask what happeneds in basic training, because you'll think you're ahead of everyone else, when your not. They changed that up all the time. If you can do whats suggested on the ADF website, then you'll be ok. But if you can't, you only get 2 tries at it. Just be prepared to have no freedom.

Also the Air Force are kinda lax at everything.

Chapman2233

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Yea 10 weeks after it, holsworthy is near where I live anyway so i dont mind.

I was told by everyone in recruitment to just go running everyday and I should be fine.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
i play alot of battlefield so i guess you could say im a full blown bird

b_lake1

Salt Dog
Reaction score
Members Ride
5.7L VY Calais
NZ military, but work a lot with the Aussies. Depending on what branch you are joining it all differs(Navy, Army, Air force). I'm Navy, but training to join our elite, I love the mental #### you get. People hoping for you to fail and disappointing them by proving them wrong, I love it. I'm bar far the biggest and strongest but its all mental. If your head is in the game and your heart is right then it'll be a piece of piss, go hard! or go home. Don't second guess yourself and if you see someone slipping ahead, get in it and bring them back down, ESPECIALLY in training. Its the only way to keep yourself safe, but with that said, it is a TEAM environment so your gonna have to love the people you live with, they become a second family. Training at the time for me sucked, I was not the fittest and I struggled, but once I started gaining there was no looking back, it was actually fun and one of my highlights of my career. Have Fun mate, and I wish you all the best, who knows we might even serve together. GET SOME!

king_rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0L Berlina wagon
Join the Army lol air force are lazy as, get payed more for nothing lol. Nah it's all good but waggas all the same, be prepared for a tough challenge the biggest culture shock will be the discipline, learn to remember the ranks of your superiors fast, usually corporals, they don't usually like it when you call a bombardier a corporal lol. Start timing your shower and shaving routine too, you'll be up at the crack of dawn to shave, **** and shower all in around 10mins. The best advice I got was to take a couple of bottles of shaving cream and razors. keep a brand new bottle and razor in your wardrobe and your used ones in your suitcase, they are so picky in room inspections they'll throw the whole lot out of your wardrobe if there's even a speck of shaving cream under the cap, or a dirty razor lol.

Justinaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv L98 '06
Air force? Why? ha ha ha ... Im ex puss so you will learn not to like navy or army . Basic Training is what you make of it and take a lot of it with a grain of salt (its character building). Best of luck with the new career either way mate . And yeah it was the best 6 years of my life , wish i'd never left .

b_lake1

Salt Dog
Reaction score
Members Ride
5.7L VY Calais
air force? Why? Ha ha ha ... Im ex puss so you will learn not to like navy or army . Basic training is what you make of it and take a lot of it with a grain of salt (its character building). Best of luck with the new career either way mate . And yeah it was the best 6 years of my life , wish i'd never left .

go the puss!!!

Woody_SS

Defective User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
go the puss!!!

What he said.

9 yrs and unfortunately medical discharge.

9 surgeries still counting and the puss still paying the bill

Got to see a heap of the world whilst getting paid to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chapman2233

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Just passed all my medical and now I only have a board meeting left, not sure what to expect there but it should be interesting!

I live in NSW and they pay flights and accomodation for the board which is in Brisbane, can't complain really !