Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

anyone know anything about astras electric power steering pumps?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Not that it will help much, but I'm fairly sure some series of MR2s ran electric pumps too. They're really popular for when people do EV conversions on their cars.

Info might be a bit more widespread as I think they're a Bosch item (not sure), but the principal/design could be similar.

This was the first result in Google though, has some links to wiring diagrams etc... - Toyota MR2 Power Steering System

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
I dont think they are ecu controlled or variable pressure. A mate of mine has done the conversion to his vs he hasnt mentioned anything about the ecu etc

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
i ask cos' there is no need to run the pump when it isnt being used, so was hoping there was some kind of pressure sensor or perhaps an angle sensor on the column i could adapt to become an on/off switch or maybe high/low RPM switch for the pump.

also the reason i ask about the astra is cos' its fkn cheap. heaps of wrecked astra out there, electric MR2's not so much.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Ari

I could well be wrong, but I thought the electrically assisted power steering used gearing driven by an electric motor driving either the steering shaft or the rack, not a pump.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
the astra's run an electric pump that delivers pressure rather than mechanically like normal. the idea would be to fit a commodore rack with an electric pump (or even just use my steering box, but id prefer a rack for spare parts/repairs later) but i dont want a pump running 24/7. you dont need power on the freeway, parked up, or stationary at lights, so in these instances id figure out either an on/off switch, or a potentiometer for variable rates. i.e. full lock=full pressure, small turns=low pressure, straight=off.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
OK. Does the Astra have some sort of variable pressure set-up that reduces pump pressure at road speeds? As one reason for adopting electric p/a steering was to improve fuel economy, it would make sense to include variable pressure to further assist in that area.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
switching it off and on would be to extend the pumps life.

and this doesnt have anything to do with fuel economy.

No, not in your case. I was referring the reason why the Astra was fitted with the electric pump in the first place.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
ah see. there is no info online that i have managed to dig up, so its either a case of biting the bullet and paying 60 bucks for a manual that probably wont have the answer in it either way, or just buying a pump and seeing if there is a way of running variable wattage into it to change the pump speed.

anyway, its a pretty long way off, still not been able to fix my tranmission selection problem, so, yeah.