Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone know where I might be able to get a key for factory roofracks on a VE?

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
Locksmiths won't charge much to pick the locks, did something similar recently, wasn't to expensive, only took them 15 mins..

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
ok cool, thanks mate, will go down that road then

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
picking the lock is one thing, but making a key for it will be more expensive. give them a call and ask for quotes.... just make sure you make a point of telling them its not urgent and that you are shopping around for prices. if they think you are on holidays somewhere and need the rack key made pronto, you'll pay through the nose.

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Worked out OK in the end, found a locksmith who picked the locks on one rack, kept it there for 2 days, made me 2 keys, $40 all up :) Only problem now is getting the little plastic caps to fill the slots the rail mountings came out of...to quote Holden... "Nah mate we don't do those as a separate part, but we can sell you a set of replacement roof rails for 70 bucks with the caps in 'em..."
I guess best bet would be to check some wreckers? Or gaffer tape :p

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
Worked out OK in the end, found a locksmith who picked the locks on one rack, kept it there for 2 days, made me 2 keys, $40 all up :) Only problem now is getting the little plastic caps to fill the slots the rail mountings came out of...to quote Holden... "Nah mate we don't do those as a separate part, but we can sell you a set of replacement roof rails for 70 bucks with the caps in 'em..."
I guess best bet would be to check some wreckers? Or gaffer tape :p

Good one mate, I knew going to a locksmith wouldn't be the horror story some were saying.
I also have one clip broken and holden told me the same thing, but I remember my price (trade) was about $45 a side...

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Good one mate, I knew going to a locksmith wouldn't be the horror story some were saying.
I also have one clip broken and holden told me the same thing, but I remember my price (trade) was about $45 a side...

The covers should be inside the roof racks, the slide into the ends when u fit the racks so if u remove them they are right there to go back on the roof rails.

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
The covers should be inside the roof racks, the slide into the ends when u fit the racks so if u remove them they are right there to go back on the roof rails.

You are a deadset legend, they were indeed in the little slots in the racks, thanks for that mate, all sorted now :)

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
You are a deadset legend, they were indeed in the little slots in the racks, thanks for that mate, all sorted now :)

Im just glad you didnt manage to buy some before I told you that haha

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Yeah was gonna try the wreckers tomorrow, glad i checked back here tonight.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Glad to hear it all worked out. Geez, $40 for new keys is pretty good! So a completely functional set of roof racks for less than a case of good beer.... nice!