Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone know where I might be able to get a key for factory roofracks on a VE?

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Recently bought an '06 VE SV6, came with factory keyed roofracks which I want to remove. The dealer I bought the car from didn't have the key, told me to quote the code number on the lock barrels to the spares desk. Have tried 2 different dealers spares desks and been told by both that they have nothing in their system about keyed roof racks.... "all ours are bolted on mate, must be aftermarket". The locks have little covers with Holden logos on them, look like genuine Holden to me, any ideas? Is it just that I've been unlucky and got 2 spare parts guys that don't know what they're doing? One guy suggested I get a locksmith to make a key, but that seems expensive compared to sourcing a key from Holden.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
i would ask who they source the racks from
probly rino or something like that then contact them directly

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
It was probably a dealer option not factory(Holden) option.

So I would be going back to the dealer/Holden you got the car from and ask them to sort it out... they fcuken put that shite on, they can fcuken take the shite off.

OR... angle grinder. :thumbsup:

I dislike DEALERS... well at least all of the ones I have ever had dealings with, useless bunch the lot of them. :upyours:

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Thanks for that. Just had a look at Holden's website, and they are definitely a factory option for the VE, so I'm thinking I'll just keep persisting with the dealer.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
they are either rhino's or rolas.
either way, roof rack locks arent exactly 001 deadlocks. if you want to remove, just drill the barrels out if you dont want to keep them.
if you want them, it's a locksmith... and considering they are on the car, it'll cheaper because you can take the lock to them.

but get a quote first.... you can buy brand new VE racks on ebay for under $200.

does manual/service history/warranty book still exist with car? if so, maybe give dealer who originally sold car a call. they might have used a local installer who you could then call directly to get new keys.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Ive fitted heaps of the VE roof racks with the keys, the parts dept you spoke to mustnt have a clue...

lol I see you are in Perth where did you ask?

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I've now been to Metro Motors (where i bought the car) City Motor's, Shack's Fremantle, and Melville Motors and got the same response from all of them. They say that whilst they are sold with 2 keys, the keys themselves are not available as a separate item and they cannot help me, and a locksmith is the only way. There was a small lockwood key on the keyring when i bought the car, but I have no idea what that fits, certainly not the roofracks. Might just have to go back to the sales guy at Metro's and ask him to pursue it with the previous owner. I'm not TOO fussed about the barrels being destroyed as I don't want to keep the racks on the car, but may change my mind later or need to use them, would be nice to at least retain the option. I have been told a locksmith would be able to use tools to work out the inside of the barrels and make a key, just trying to avoid that expense if I can.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
That sounds a little different to your initial post..

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
No the first 2 places said they didnt know of them having keys at all, was only after i looked on holden's website today and went to 2 more dealers and told them they were definitely a factory roofrack, they brought it up on their computer system and it lists the roofracks with keys, but no separate part number for the keys only.

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Anyways, the end result is the same, conformation that Holden can't provide a replacement, they do look the same as a set on the Rhino website though, soI'm guessing they must be the manufacturer and will try them before going to a locksmith