Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone knows how to change Harmonic Balancer

scatterybrane_007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Hi guys,

Have anyone tried changing the harmonic balancer in a VR. Im in much trouble as it makes too much noise while stopped and makes me real embaresed:bang:as the noise is really annoying but no noise when im driving. Please help me in this matter. Thanks

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
you need to undo the big bolt in the middle and it will be very tight, the best way that i have always undone the bolt is it have a breaker bar on the end of a wrench that is on the bolt with the breaker bar end hard against the concrete below and just give the engine a couple of short cranks by turning the key (but dont hold it as you dont want the engine to start) and that will break the lock of the bolt.

after that you will need some sort of gear puller to pull the balancer off, i needed a puller for my vt v6 but my v8 i was able to just give it one hard pull and it came off.
it really is not that hard and doesn't take long to do.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
You might need to remove the cooling fans to give you room to use a puller.

FirstVR_JC

Reaction score
Members Ride
RALLIART Magna
hi there... i'm in the same boat, mine died yesterday after going on a sunday cruise .... huge rattling sound when pulled up at the shops, checked it and just about all the rubber is goooone.

Shop around for a new one as they vary in price .... holden wanted $290 for just the harmonic balancer, more for seals ---- bloody rip-off:ranting:.

I got one for 138 plus 25 for front main seal.

Not doing the job myself though....getting mechanic to do it for $77 :whistling.

I've been reading how hard that front nut is to get off ...... good luck with the job if your doing it yourself:thumbsup:

Azp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN/VR
Yeah front nut is a pain to get off. My starter motor wasn't strong enough to crack mine, quality rattle gun at full psi did was though. If you're gona use the starter remove the ECU fuse or similar to make sure the engine can't start.