Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

anyone used 12v fan/heater dimisters as an upgrade?

YMY-88U

Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VH SL/E
hi guys im wondering if anyone has used those little electric dimisters and pis$ed off all the fan and heater box?
as ive got a vh im doing up and ive decided to lose the aircon so ive welded up the hole for the pipes, now wondering if i should lose the heater box and fan setup as it was never really working anyway....you know the old cars, so i was thinking to try and fit acouple of these dimisters for windscreen and feet possibly because canberras get a cold winter and try set it up to run of the standard controls by using switches ets and not sure if i trust the idea of a heater box with a future 355 nitrous motor that'll get driven hard/burnout comps etc?

What do yous think? has anyone got one of these beautys?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

jakbob

Lighten up.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, VC L, VK Vacationer
You'll need a big alternator for it to be effective. I used a 300w 12v fan heater in my VC because the heater didn't work so well. I had to connect straight to the battery and at 300w thats 25A. It wasn't terribly effective so I think you'd need at least two of them to use as a demister. Thats 50A. Not really practical.
In the end I gave up and put a 240v 2000w fan heater in the car, and ran an extension lead from the house to the car. Then I switched it on half an hour before I had to leave for work in the morning and I had a toasty warm car to drive to work in.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42

jakbob

Lighten up.
Reaction score
Members Ride
I've been thinkin of getting a few of these to mount into the demister vents. Dunno how good they are, don't care about heaters (I'll put a jumper on if it's cold), just need sumfin to demist the front window.
Adjustable Heater 12v Caravan Boat Fishing Camping NEW - eBay Other, Electrical, Lighting, Boat Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 09-Sep-10 19:51:26 AEST)

Mine's 300w and if you hold it right up to the glass for while it'll defog the bit right in front of it. At 150w it probably won't do much. If you use a few you really have to look hard at how much current you're drawing.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
I got a 12v hair dryer which I was originally gonna use, cost about $25 from a camping shop. Only thought of going the other gadget coz it looks easier to mount lol. :p

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
LMAO! whats wrong with a standard heater core? (apart from ugly heater hoses in the engine bay) mine BLASTS heat out, when the enigne is warm of course. if it isnt working well then stick a garden hose in it in the reverse direction and try and get the rusty crap out. if that doesnt work get it re-cored.

putting an extra 300W on an already struggling electrical system seems like a bad idea to me.

jakbob

Lighten up.
Reaction score
Members Ride
LMAO! whats wrong with a standard heater core? (apart from ugly heater hoses in the engine bay) mine BLASTS heat out, when the enigne is warm of course. if it isnt working well then stick a garden hose in it in the reverse direction and try and get the rusty crap out. if that doesnt work get it re-cored.

putting an extra 300W on an already struggling electrical system seems like a bad idea to me.

Heater core FTW! Your engine is essentially a big heater that provides power to the wheels as a by product. They're generally only about 30% efficient. The other two thirds of the energy produced by burning fuel is wasted as heat, might as well use some of it. Doesn't really make sense to make your engine work harder to provide for an electric heater when its already pumping out more heat than you could ever need.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition