Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone used a GMB water pump?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I fitted one to the ute recently. It was replacing a GMB that the previous owner had not long fitted before I bought the vehicle. Hopefully it was just a one off bad one. Issue was a weep from the weep hole once I fixed all the other leaks and increased the pressure in the system.

exec24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2
I've just bought a GMB one off ebay for an LS1 i have in the shed that i pulled out a VX SS Last year and am not 100% sure when/if the waterpump was ever replaced. It doesn't look every old but i'll replace it when the engine is apart and maybe keep the other one as a spare for a bit

i dont think all Chinese stuff is crap, just need to be careful on which brands to buy

i currently have GMB waterpumps on both my VS V8 and VY V6, never had an issue with either and they have been on the cars for a while

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Not saying all Chinese stuff is crap, that can make very good stuff but too often when countries like Aus or USA send manufacturing to China they are asking for huge cost reduction so they are essentially asking the Chinese to supply crap.
My GMB pump I fitted 6 months ago had a wobbly bearing from new, so not filling me with confidence.

H

harrop.senator

Also while on topic even though gmb may have dropped quality a little in recent years still pick it over true flow lol. We've had a couple come back on warranty.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The original I pulled off my VE was IHI from memory and made in Canada. That one did 250,000 ks and I only replaced it to stop a slight bearing noise. Next time I'll try and track down one of those online..

H

harrop.senator

Yeah the gm pumps are usually Canadian didn't realise ihi though only ihi I know are a turbocharger manufacturer lol.

exec24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2
Not saying all Chinese stuff is crap, that can make very good stuff but too often when countries like Aus or USA send manufacturing to China they are asking for huge cost reduction so they are essentially asking the Chinese to supply crap.
My GMB pump I fitted 6 months ago had a wobbly bearing from new, so not filling me with confidence.

on my VS's old V8 engine, i fitted a genuine Holden waterpump for about $220, which wasnt cheap at the time. i then remove the engine which i sold to a mate who fitted into one of his cars. a few moths ago the bearing on the waterpump got noisey and had only done 40,000-50,000k's since being fitted by me. considering the price i would of expected a bit more k's out of it.

when i built the my new engine i priced up another new Holden Waterpump and at that time they wanted near $400 for it, which is why i ended up going with a GMB pump which i think was just over $100 (Japanese one though)

I'll try the GMB one see how it goes