Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone used a OBD2 service like Autel / Foxwell / Icarsoft on SS?

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
I'm looking at getting this Autel Maxicheck Pro OBD2 service unit which works on GM vehicles, but not sure yet if anyone has used on Holden. It does a range of neat little things including activate ABS module, and steering sensor angle position.
https://store.autel.com.au/autel-ma...pplication-diagnostics-obdii-scanner_p51.html

Youtube video showing it do its thing.

Has anyone used one of these on a Holden Commodore? Has anyone used anything similar that is known to work on Holden Commodore? Would Chevy SS option in the unit work for Holden Commodore? Anyone have any recommendations for similar units?

I have asked Autel via message so awaiting response. After reading some of the help questions on the Autel site about Holden and Ford seems a big lack of functionality for the vehicles or even support from the company...

***edit - was a told that the foxwell wont do it for the Holden and neither will most others apparantly. Havnt heard back about the Autel but doubt it being GM MDI2 now days and rise units are going for about $800 alone! Frickin electronics these days!

Last edited:

Henry19720

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY15 Man Sedan, MY17 SSVR Man Sedan
Hi Mate,
I’ve only used a MDI 2 (the GM one) however if it can get the steering controller to go into calibration mode it MAY be ok. I can’t remember the protocol J19?? something but if it can communicate like that you may also be able to use it as a pass thru device with th GM TISWEB system for installing new updated controller software however I don’t know if the GDS2 diagnostic software can use it as like I said I’ve only used the proper one.

The MDI 2 I use is the genuine Bosch interface. I’ve been burnt with clones before but the genuine one isn’t cheap!

Probably not much help but good luck.

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
I’ve seen Foxwell seem to be a bit more Holden aligned they seem ok but can’t seem to find anyone that has used it on a VF Commodore. Sent messages out to all manufacturers for hopefully an answer. As I do all my work myself it’s be good to have one of these for all my new cars. I saw Supercheap auto have a Bosch reader but it only reads...

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
Hi Mate,
I’ve only used a MDI 2 (the GM one) however if it can get the steering controller to go into calibration mode it MAY be ok. I can’t remember the protocol J19?? something but if it can communicate like that you may also be able to use it as a pass thru device with th GM TISWEB system for installing new updated controller software however I don’t know if the GDS2 diagnostic software can use it as like I said I’ve only used the proper one.

The MDI 2 I use is the genuine Bosch interface. I’ve been burnt with clones before but the genuine one isn’t cheap!

Probably not much help but good luck.
Do you think that ONLY GM MDI unit will work with our cars?
"
Gneral Moors Global Electrical Architecture (Global A) and Global Diagnostic Hardware &Software

Global Diagnostic System DGS& Mutiple diagnostic Interface MDI "
Do you think that a global scan tool would have the capability to connect to GM Global A system? Starting to look like those mid to entry level OBD units I listed above may not actually work and only with Holden... frustrating.