Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone with a tech2 able to reprogram a VZ ECU Plug and Play kit?

Hydrazine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I've got a VZ ECU/PIM/BCM kit on the way, after finding out too late that the VZ is notorious for cooked ECUs causing cylinder misfires! In this case, the ECU failed to fire the #3 injector!

Turns out that the 2nd hand car dealer sold me a car claiming an ignition coil needing replacement when the owner had already replaced BOTH the injector and the coil on that cylinder with new ones to no avail. Never mind that it leaks from 3 spots (power steering, rocker covers, transmission) has a bad starter motor, leaks vacuum, brake pads are almost gone and is missing the factory tire wrench/jack handle needed to get to the brakes! Given my luck, 50/50 the engine's going to be full of sludge. Grr... :mad: At least it was really cheap! <end rant>

Long story short, the replacement ECU is a little different to my car. Wondering if anyone has a tech2 or similar who could help with reprogramming to stop warnings to get it one step closer to passing roadworthy?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It should all work once the 3 computers are installed. Shouldn’t be any warnings.

Hydrazine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I hope you're right!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I thought a secondhand car dealer had to ensure the vehicle they sold was roadworthy and depending on age and milage provide a warranty, see here.

So if you did buy the car from a dealer as you said, probably worth giving Queensland Fair Trading a call and having a chat with them. You may be speding money you don't have to be spending.

Doh, VZ is > 10 years old so no statutory warranty unles you buy one as of next month :oops: Shouldn't type when i'm tired and unable to sleep o_O

Hydrazine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Hmm, interesting, under those new laws, 100% the dealer would have never taken in this car for trade-in and it would most likely be parted at a wreckers!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ Yeah but trade in prices are in fairy land and factored into the price of the new buy. So unless the dealer is 100% incompetent, in which case they won’t be in business, either the true value apportioned to the trade in is scrap value or they think they can make some more $ selling it used.

Only difference with the new laws will be the dealers mechanical check of the trade in needs to be more thorough to ensure what they sell is really roadworthy and will last the required one month or 1000kms. A one month warranty is hardly a big deal, especially when the law allows them to list non road worthy defects on the sales notice in the vehicles window and on the contract.

Hydrazine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I don't think this car would have counted in any case as it was sold with no rego/rwc/warranty. The price, being under $1400 "drive away" (including the unregistered vehicle permit) seemed reasonable. We'll see what the final total is once I fix everything up!

Hydrazine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Just an update, installed the ECU/PIM/BCM kit, found out that the same injector didn't fire! Turns out in addition to the old ECU being dicky, the contacts on the plug going to the bad injector on the wiring harness were bent out of shape. I assume whoever tried to fix it broke the plug while replacing the injector for the ECU issue! After all that, engine runs sweet as and with no errors. Well, except for "Service Engine Soon" but that's due to the stuffed oil pressure sensor, a $30 eBay fix.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Love it when a plan comes together.
Thanks for posting the solution
9e742496696e3173bef3c7ecfe833c6e.jpg