Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Apexi Rev Speed Meter

hoops75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS series 2
Just for peoples information I have successfully installed an Apexi RSM into my VYSS ute. Before I installed it I could not find anyone that has but thanks to DR Rob and his ECU diagrams it is connected and working. The RSM only cost me $170 on ebay and is meant for Jap cars but appears to work fine in commodores and it will give you a digital readout of RPM, speed, power, and times such as 0-100km and 0-400m etc. If anyone is interested I have attached photo's and if you need any advice on installing one send a message:thumbsup:

Brad

Attachments

• IMG_0582.JPG
    IMG_0582.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 3,757
  • IMG_0584.JPG
    IMG_0584.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 1,860
  • IMG_0585.JPG
    IMG_0585.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 2,208

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Nice work Brad, looks good. :thumbsup:

So, to obtain power, 0-100 and 0-400 readings, do you need to tell it how much the car weighs, drag co-efficient or any other parameters?

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
thats ****ing awsome! i want one! i love guages and random lcd screens...mmmmm....

aZK.

hoops75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS series 2
You need to put weight & engine size information into the unit and also some adjustment with the speed calibration. Took me a little while to get the correction right for the speed because most of the settings are for Jap 4 cyl cars. U can also attach a G sensor to measure G forces and this also makes ur 400m time more accurate apparently.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
that is awesome, can u read ur air/fuel mixtures aswell, or are they on the bigger apexi ones? what other features does this rsm have, thinking bout doing this now for my vyss, but also want one that gives me accurate air/fuel mixtures aswell

hoops75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS series 2
It can't read air/fuel mixtures. It only piggybacks onto speed and tacho inputs into the ecu. U can measure 0-?km/h times such as 0-100 upto 0-300km/h. Also 0-100m, 0-200m and 0-400m. U can also measure acceleration times such as 80-100km/h. U can record laptimes and it records all these times in the unit. It can measure the power of the vehicle but I havn't worked it out yet. Not sure of the accuracy because have piggybacked the wires onto the output wires from the computer but i have run a 5.6 sec 0-100km'h and a 14 sec 0-400m time (only mods r 4-1 headers and 2.5 inch exhaust sustem and cold air intake and with plenty of wheel spin) so I will have to test it out at a drag strip. It is a good unit but a bit of wiring and installation work. The other option was a G-Tech performance meter but that costs around $500 but the bonus is it only plugs into ur cigarette lighter

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
A G-sensor will probably start a quarter mile at about the same time as the RSM, because your car will almost certainly begin moving forward despite wheelspin, and the timer will start as soon as the car moves. But then, the RSM is only as accurate as the sensors it's connected to, whereas the G-sensor can be accurately calibrated from the factory.

The RSM uses the weight of your car for its horsepower calculation, so you will need an accurate measurement of your car's weight.

A friend tested one of those G-Tech meters on a drag strip a while ago and found it to be slightly optimistic with performance figures, but fairly consistantly so.

cpbait, you will need some pretty fancy equipment to accurately measure air/fuel ratios. The cheap gauges aren't very accurate or useful, and will only really let you know if something is drastically wrong (and by then it may be a little late).

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
yeh thanks klaw81, i'm looking at sum air/fuel ratio meters at bout the $400-$500 mark, so might get one of them instead and place it under my new headunit, as i'm going to get rid of the factory in dash stacker.