Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Apple CarPlay on VF

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
with Alpine unit fitted, is the head up display still shows navigation when using the Alpine navigation??
My unit doesn't have Alpine nav (I got the i902 instead of the x902). I figure between Waze, Google and Apple maps I've got some form of nav that will work correctly and I don't need to worry about updating maps.

bennydaman1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline Wagon (MY17)
My unit doesn't have Alpine nav (I got the i902 instead of the x902). I figure between Waze, Google and Apple maps I've got some form of nav that will work correctly and I don't need to worry about updating maps.
Hi Smashfist
Long time member firs time poster, I'm seriously looking at getting the Alpine x902 for my VF2 SSVR Wagon and just wanted to get you're and anyone else's thoughts on the install process and the Alpine functionality vs MyLink before I dive in.
From what I've read the only functionality that is lost is the GPS HUD integration.
Also any chance you'd have some photos of the install and final install that you'd be happy to share?
Any help would really appreciated :)
Ben

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
Yes - just can't see the product information via the tabs at the bottom of the page, and looks to be the exact same as what has always been sold?

Can't find any updates on this product from their Facebook page either.
yeah i cant notice anything different.
theres also been no software updates to it since august either which suggests its no different.
generally if theres different hardware, the software would need to support it.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Hi Smashfist
Long time member firs time poster, I'm seriously looking at getting the Alpine x902 for my VF2 SSVR Wagon and just wanted to get you're and anyone else's thoughts on the install process and the Alpine functionality vs MyLink before I dive in.
From what I've read the only functionality that is lost is the GPS HUD integration.
Also any chance you'd have some photos of the install and final install that you'd be happy to share?
Any help would really appreciated :)
Ben

Hey mate, no photos of the install itself, it was pretty easy and the supplied instructions are good at the actual radio removal and fitment. The hardest part was installing the GPS antenna (even though I have no nav in my unit being the i902 it does have an antenna to supply a more accurate signal to your phone when using carplay).

No other lost functionality, the reverse camera picture isn't quite as good though. Also the instructions seem to entirely skip the wiring, for some reason the harness they supply has to be plugged into itself about 6 times to complete all the connections. You also have to solder a connection in for the antenna clip so I suspect they've got a couple of generic harnesses they supply in the kit.

I didn't install the DAB antenna because no DAB where I am so that might be a bugger to install.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Envyous Customs (@TazzI ) has just released a set of instructions on doing this DIY (essentially the same as his initial kits but we source the parts directly which removes the middle man). While this brings down costs a bit (the low AUD doesn't help), it's still a shame that there's no way to "hack" into the MyLink system to add Apple Carplay and Android Auto rather than needing to do that much with wiring and harnesses and boxes.
Imagine if we could all paid Holden upfront some moneys each as a large collective group, then that would be plenty of money to get Holden working on such software working (after all, isn't this all GM Global architecture which should make it straightforward for them?). Dreaming of course. :p

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... Imagine if we could all paid Holden upfront some moneys each as a large collective group, then that would be plenty of money to get Holden working on such software working (after all, isn't this all GM Global architecture which should make it straightforward for them?). Dreaming of course. :p
Heck Holden doesn’t even allow Aussies to self install map updates Via UDB stick which is an option afforded to those in the states :mad:

The dreaming is thinking the GM/Holden give a toss about us owners :oops: Thank goodness for people like @TazzI :)