Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

apprentice interview

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
im going for a mechanics apprenticeship interview on thursday and just wondering how to handle it. im only 18 so dont have a massive knowledge base on cars but enough to keep mine running a little better than my friends cars. ive been told by my sisters boyfriend they ask questions about politics etc like who is governor of nsw or something? that sort of crap i suck at so not looking forward to that bit. but then they go and ask really basic questions about cogs and gears and stuff? anyone recently been for an apprenticeship and know the current situation on how they go about things?

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
Simple things that I always look for when interviewing people. Shower, shave and dress neatly. Don't dress how you would for the job (ie overalls). Speak politely and don't dribble too much crap, chances are they aren't interested anyway. And another thing, turn up early!

_Mukas_

DJ Titan...Hardstyle guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0L Statesman
vystorm_adel said:
And another thing, turn up early!

but not tooooo early or youll look like a wanker

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
_Mukas_ said:
but not tooooo early or youll look like a wanker
Yeah, thats obvious. Quite often interviews are scheduled one after another. Nothing worse than arriving when someone else is still waiting ahead of you.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
I always look for someone that's fit for the job, can learn quickly, actually WANTS to do the job, can learn and figure things out themselves, reliable, GOOD TO GET ALONG WITH (noone wants to work with an asshole) - i wouldn't care if they know who is the governor of every state in the us :), if they can do the job well, and learn and be good to work with and be productive, they're a winner!

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
i cant wait for the interview and even more to start working on cars and learning. every mechanic is prob sick of me asking as many questions as i do without getting any money. i work 9-530 now (and hate the job) and as soon as i get home start playing with my car in the dark with a torch just to get things done... i love cars im an idiot for not going and getting an apprenticeship earlier. it was at first the money issue but at my current job i earn heaps but just cant stand what i do (retail salesman) so boring... heck i like cleaning cars just to get a good look at everything. i definately know where i want to go now. i may branch into auto electrician in the future if the oppurtunity comes up as car audio etc has also been something ive been way into

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
went up today... scored 95% in their "tests" and have an interview with a workshop tomorrow morning so stoked its literally 5 mins walk from my house!! too easy. i lost the 5% because i have longish shaggy hair and a pierced eye brow... if i get this job i say bye bye to that but oh well

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
Good job,dress to impress "up here from thinking down there for dancing". I am an apprentice my self Electrican. Always Be Confident,take it on the chin if you do something wrong as all apprentices will get the odd shoutting to. Listen,Observe and dont be smart to your boss or tradesman. Excel at a basic level,you will get better with experience "Rome wasn't build in a day?

Last of all,buy good tools,treat them right and always remember you are there to learn one day you will be on your own :)

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
has anyone dealt with AGT (automotive group traing) before? it all went really well while i was there and was gauranteed the interview tomorrow but havent had a call to give me the address of the mechanics shop? i get home and talk to sisters boyfriend and he says he dealt with exactly the same guy Michael Brown is his name. apparently says he will organise interviews but doesnt get it done etc... a bit worried now. im gonna call them first thing 8am tomorrow and ask for a different agent and see whats goin on with my interview... oh well

-Junior-

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn auto
I was with agt years ago. If you are still waiting, try to talk to Bob Palmer. Hope it works out for you.:)