Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are 325KW headers an upgrade?

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
who does high flow converters that bolt between the hsv system?

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
The 340 is a 2.5inch outlet.

also what the difference between 317 and 325?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The 340 is a 2.5inch outlet.

also what the difference between 317 and 325?

The mid section. 317kw version has the same mid section as an SS/SSV/Redline.
325kw version has the true 2.5" mid section.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

Everybody....

At least everybody in the exhaust game who knows their business can knock up a set.

rognvald261

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS A6
There are a few threads here detailing the optimal downpipe from the HSV headers and cat dimensions, price, etc., to the stock catback flange.
Worth also looking at the argument for relocating that catback flange in favour of a proper tuned secondary / cat position (also available via search).
Sourcing the 4” spun steel Chinese barrel cats is easy, the dimension and form of the downpipe from header merge flange extending pre-cat (secondary) depends whether your tuning target is skewed to HP vs torque.
Be careful bolting on high HP bits requiring fine tuning, there’s always a trade-off, so without a custom tune mods like this may result in poor overall performance.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
'Decent price' is up to you to decide... I think it's too much, as the cats are basically worthless, but that's only my opinion.
Get about $40/50 per cat at scrap joints (ring around).

Personally for the effort of changing etc look at a good set of headers, if $$$ a concern some wreckers have heaps of crashed commodores with quality systems for reasonable $$$

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
There are a few threads here detailing the optimal downpipe from the HSV headers and cat dimensions, price, etc., to the stock catback flange.
Worth also looking at the argument for relocating that catback flange in favour of a proper tuned secondary / cat position (also available via search).
Sourcing the 4” spun steel Chinese barrel cats is easy, the dimension and form of the downpipe from header merge flange extending pre-cat (secondary) depends whether your tuning target is skewed to HP vs torque.
Be careful bolting on high HP bits requiring fine tuning, there’s always a trade-off, so without a custom tune mods like this may result in poor overall performance.

I have read through those and picked up the full hsv system to sort me out for the mean time. According to those the try y (4-2-1) design was better than 4-1 but the stock collector and cat position is flawed. He who shall not be named believed 180° equal length headers were the best for the LS firing order and he has publicly stated $6k for a system from himself.

I love the idea of 180 degrees but finding someone who can make that and perfect everything else would be hard pressed and I'd probably ask the pirate.

rognvald261

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS A6
I have read through those and picked up the full hsv system to sort me out for the mean time. According to those the try y (4-2-1) design was better than 4-1 but the stock collector and cat position is flawed. He who shall not be named believed 180° equal length headers were the best for the LS firing order and he has publicly stated $6k for a system from himself.

I love the idea of 180 degrees but finding someone who can make that and perfect everything else would be hard pressed and I'd probably ask the pirate.
Just saying the importance of the bit between end of primaries and catback is worth reviewing.
Dirk is on FaceBook BTW, has a group called All Motor Legal.