Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are all the 4L60E transmissions interchangeable?

AdrianP

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 V8 VR ute/'92 VP wagon
Hey all , seasons greetings!

I am asking this for my cousin as he doesn’t have internet. My ute is manual so I don’t have to worry...
Anyway, the tranny in his 5l VR is shot. Does he have to stick with ones out of V8 VR/VS or will later ones, say the ones behind the 5.7l VX/VY work without any modifications?
Cheers
Adrian

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Will need one from VR-VT 304 engine. Later models from late vs2 to vt are stronger and have larger cooler lines, corvette servo, better torque converter clutch etc.

Directly interchangeable apart from transmission lines.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
For simplicity stay with vr/s 304 replacement....can still be found easily enough,most need rebuild anyway.

Later vt 5l slight differences & ls vt/x a few more changes.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Also depends on early or late VR whether or not it has the extra converter lockup solenoid. If it's an early than a late model one isn't a straight fit.

AdrianP

Reaction score
Members Ride
O.k thanks guys, sounds like a 4L60E has many differences over the years. So as he is on a budget (mainly as he doesn’t want to spend more than the car cost him for a recoed one), is a 6cyl one an option at? Guessing you would have to swap the bell housing at least, but is it that simple? Would be a good option as you could get a 6Cyl driver for a few hundred bucks.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
All the early 4l60e's are a single case/bellhousing design, it wasn't till the VT that it had a separate bell housing. You need to figure out if it's an early or late VR and that will dictate what you can use as a replacement transmission.

AdrianP

Reaction score
Members Ride
I know it’s a ‘93 if that’s enough to determine it an early? I have messaged him to tell me the month. However if we assume it is an early one, is there any option other than getting another from an early VR V8 model or his reconditioned?

AdrianP

Reaction score
Members Ride
He just got back to me, it’s 9/93.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'd say it's most definitely an early VR so that does limit the options as far as I'm aware. There may be a way around it but I'm not sure if or what is required.

AdrianP

Reaction score
Members Ride
O.k thanks for the reply and your advice Immortality.
Then does anyone in NSW have good early VR V8 tranny they would like to sell? Or know what it takes to fit a later 4L60E? Cooler pipes should be an easy enough mod, and probably anything that can simply be swapped over from the existing tranny, when it starts involving computers though, it would be a major stop sign for us...

Last edited: