Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are any member here into high end Tv's and Sound

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
IMO HDR is only needed because LED TVs can't show proper blacks. So therefore they pump out huge brightness to give the contrast ratio required.
OLED gives infinite contrast ratio, even at 1 nit.
But does your OLED make you turn your head away when a scene come up with the SUN blaring at you >>>> NO
Yes but the LED with Strong Peak brightness (extremely few of them) give you the WOW Factor that any other tv can give you. I had to Bribe, Conn, Steal the Car of the Sales person (MAN) (Wont do that to a WOMAN, because some woman want easy money ) to come to our house and see for him self what HDR is as I had to explain to hime that out of all the TV you have nere none of them will show HDR FULL STOP. He did not understands what I was talking about, selling tv for 10 or more years and did not have a clues what I was trying to tell him, For Fuc.k sake do you have a Sony Z9J here, he said No because Harvey Normal wont display them because they are to expensive and I said so you dont know what the Z9G , Z8H , and the Z9J is and he replied. Eventually he came over and got a shock and told his manager (manager said you should not accositate with Customers) and before I knew I has two more that wanted to come over to see for them self

Movies that are Mastered 4000 Nit are the Best to watch on the tv like ours Z8H or the Z9G and the Z9J (PS: Typo from me as we have the Z8H not the Z9g or the Z9J

20092012Universal StudiosHDR 10Rated at 1.54000 NIT0.005 NIT4451 NIT514 NIT

1997Air Force OneColumbia PicturesHDR 10Rated at 4.54000 NIT0.0050 NIT1452 NIT519 NIT

2018AquamanDC ComicsDVRated at 3.04000 NIT0.005 NIT3241 NIT902 NIT

2017Billy Lynn's Long Halftime WalkSony PicturesHDR 10Rated at4000 NIT0.005 NIT2086 NIT997 NIT

2017Bridge on the River Kwai, TheSony PicturesHDR 10Rated at4000 NIT0.005 NIT10000 NIT272 NIT
Movie above
OOOOOH,,, Working on that Railway and the sun is blaring hot and bright so if the camera pans the sun the OLED will show a Sun, So what 99% of LCD will show the Sun, So what, I can say it can stare At it until it moves The Sony Z9G, Z8H and the Z9J when that scenes come up and if you watch it will be like if you are outside and you look at the sun for real, YOU EYES will BURN same goes with these High nit tv's. I had Sore eyes for two days after Watching "The Last Witch Hunter" and that is a very Dark movies except for that one scene.

2006DaVinci Code, The
(THIS MOVIE HAS
Sony Pictures
STRONG HDR FOR
HDR 10
100%
Rated at 2.25
WINDOW)
4000 NIT0.0050 NIT4897 NIT653 NIT

2017Last Witch Hunter, TheLionsgate FilmsHDR 10Rated at 4.84000 NIT0.005 NITNo DataShown

2017Mad Max: Fury RoadWarner Bros.HDR 10Rated at 4.04000 NIT0.005 NIT9919 NIT3242 NIT
2017Magnificent Seven, TheSony PicturesHDR 10Rated at4000 NIT0.005 NIT6968 NIT428 NIT

2017Man of SteelWarner Bros.HDR 10Rated at 3.54000 NIT0.005 NIT4000 NIT250 NIT

2018MEG, TheRoadshow EntertainmentDV Dolby VisionRated at 3.04000 NIT0.005 NIT4000 NIT1193 NIT

2017Pacific RimWarner Bros.HDR 10Rated at 4.94000 NIT0.005 NIT2465 NIT823 NIT

2015PANWarner Bros.HDR 10Rated at 4.04000 NIT0.0050 NITNo DataShown

2014Spider Man 2 – Rise of ElectroSony/Columbia PicturesHDR 10Rated at 3.04000 NIT0.005 NIT1977 NIT1112 NIT

2018Spiderman into the Spider-Verse
(THIS MOVIE HAS
Universal

STRONG HDR FOR
HDR 10

100%
Rated at 3.25

WINDOW)
4000 NIT0.0050 NIT9877 NIT934 NIT
2017Spider-Man: HomecomingSony PicturesDV Dolby VisionRated at4000 NIT0.005 NIT988 NIT690 NIT

2016Star Wars Rogue OneDisney/LucasfilmHDR 10Rated at 3.04000 NIT0.0050 NITNo DataShown

2017Starship Troopers: Traitors of MarsSony PicturesRated at4000 NIT0.005 NIT9978 NIT533 NIT

2016SullyRoadshow EntertainmentHDR 10Rated at4000 NIT0.005 NIT4000 NIT290 NIT

2018VenomSony Pictures / MarvelDV Dolby VisionRated at4000 NIT0.005 NIT981 NIT367 NIT

Now there is a Few Movies to get as from 2022 on LCD will have very few TV that will have a Strong HDR. Again Good OLED give you a good Contrast ratio But does a OLED make you tuen you head away like if you look at the Sun or a Car Headights at Night.... NO but Some, VERY VERY Few LEDS will do this like the Sony range of LED Z9G, Z8H,Z9J that you cannot buy at Jb's, Hardy normal, the Good Guys as they are special orders.
Talk about Head Lights as this car "Christine" will burn your eyes out if the car show its light to you".

1983ChristineSony PicturesHDR 10Rated at 3.54000 NIT0.005 NIT1951 NIT701 NIT

Again Guys LOOK at the Last 4 BLOCKS on the Right because they are the most important ones to look at look at the Below on what I have written on the Below. Some few Movies don't spit all the Info our like the Last Witch Hunter but Trust me if you have a high Nit TV Mainly the Sony Z9g,Z8H, and the Z9J will burn you eyes out Also the New Mini Led from Samsung the QN90B,,, B only not A

Last edited:

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
High end? Pfffft…I love a good Rank Arena CRT personally..
images.jpeg
=

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I'm not a big fan of HDR, it seems a bit unnatural to my eyes(which aren't that great)...

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm not a big fan of HDR, it seems a bit unnatural to my eyes(which aren't that great)...
My eyes are still good for a Old man, Only were glass when on the computers or reading. I have special glasses to watch our MAIN tv as I want my eyes to be fully tuned in to get the sharpest image possible. .Lost a certian Frequency range for my ears as 20 years ago I got virus that made me deaf for 2 months and when my hearing came back and had hearing test again I lost some range.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
This happens to most younger people but if you do the right thing and save you money you will get the stuff you need to enjoy your later life.

Oh I could easily go out and spend a fortune and not exactly have to worry about it. But other priorities and all that.

I enjoyed the build process as I had all the equipment and made the boxes so they could assemble without any screws or glue (final assembly did have all that to lock it in) as I routered it all to tight tolerances.
Speakers are coupled to a Harmon Kardon AVR unit and a Marantz CD player and it does the job well. The room isn't set up for listening but the sound especially for rock and so on is nice. Just misses a bit of bass which is where the sub will come to life.

Used to always use the folks Sansui speakers and cd player (talking over 30 years old) and that is for the age a great set up. Only ever had it up to 3.5 on the volume and its loud and clear, would hate to know what it would do at 10. And the bass was plenty enough to feel it through the house. Which they knew it had been on as all the plates and so on had moved around :p

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
IMO HDR is only needed because LED TVs can't show proper blacks. So therefore they pump out huge brightness to give the contrast ratio required.
OLED gives infinite contrast ratio, even at 1 nit.

I bought my first OLED (LG) last year and it has ruined any other TV for me, even the cinema to be honest.
Yes, if you wanted to watch The Batman at midday with the sun streaming through a OLED would be poor.
But in a dark room, its amazingly good. You genuinely can't see the transition from ratio black bars to black in the image.

Everyone is different though, some want hypersaturated colours and a lighthouse beaming at your room.
I'm on Sony for the 85Z9K ( if it comes to Australia) but I still think it will have blooming so all I ask GOD if there is a GOD to wait until 85 inch Micro LED comes out then I die a year later with a Smile on my face. Sony (they will start with 65 and 75 inch) which is due in 2026-27 dont know about the 85 Inch Micro LED Z9 whatever but the trouble is "THE LITTLE ROCKET MAN IN North Korea" want to eat Japan and South Korea. Reuters News Service (Watching) have Cameras on Just about ever Bridge from South to North Korea, Some Camera pan around and Samsung is in the Firing line. The World is MAD, Full stop. Once again just about everone has never seen a Sony Z9G, Z8H or the Z9J (Z9G is poor for blacks) in Action so most should say they have never seen them in Action but home have lied about this, They say I have seen them in Jb's or Good Guys (full of Shi.t) .

The OLED people are very protective on there OLEDS they band together and criticize LCD People on Forums they like if they have a chip on there Shoulders. For me ANY oled is dull and when you get older it effect you more plus I cannot used OLED even the Top emissions come out (Covid delayed them) because of Burn in, HATE ABL and most Satellite Feeds on Satellite Logos that I watch continually are to bright logo and will effect the OLED.
The Perfect OLED tv (77 or over) will be that will not suffer from ABL, Able to get and SUSTAIN at least 1600 nits at 10 window, does not suffer Overall luminance degradation does not suffer from banding (Cheap LCD are the Same .
Because I'm very fussy and paranoid and suffer fro OCD (As you know) I have two Light Meters (did not trust the first one (OCD and Paranoid kick in) and measure My Friends LG C1 Oled when he purchase it then measured around 780 nit at 10 Window , Stuck white insulating tape on the rear of it with nit findings two years later the Tv has lost 80-85 nit, he did not notice this but my two paraniod meter picked it
LCD have there issue too but If you spend $15,000 or more on a LCD you should get the best but for me when we purchase a 86LG 86SJ957T that cost us close to $15000 and once again this TV WAS NOT AVAILIBLE TO VIEW IN A DARK ROOM or any shop like the Sony Z9G, Z8H, Z9J when we got this LG I got a SHOCK HOW BAD IT WAS.
Once again I use Evidence NO HEARSAY.
Have a look at the IPS Glow, Letter box Light up, Blooming Galore, so LG Came out, (PS LG itself never seen this TV Before so they said you must be unlucky so they send the second one out and the second was worst and after this I found out overseas that this TV was NWACFOCWATER (Work that Out) Took 6 months to get my money back so the Only LcD that I can get was Sony KD 75 inch 9400E (Cat get a 85) and I still have it today Its a damm good tv but suffers with only 1185 nit at 10%

Have a Look at this, MY OCD Flipped over, I near committed suicide, If we had a cat I would have kick it (we have 3 cats and two of them ate good (the other is a bitch of a cat) I cannot beleive the Rubbis I selected and this is the reaon why I was scared to by another high end TV WITHOUT Vied FIRST. I have even told Shops I will wait until all shoppers are gone so you can turn the Light off because i want to see this tv in the Dark (Again this is for average price Tv not the high ends ones as they dont have any, PS Dont look at part of my Sat TV room The same on the other side of the room. 5 X 24 inch monitors on the Right, 4 on the Left

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I enjoyed the build process as I had all the equipment and made the boxes so they could assemble without any screws or glue (final assembly did have all that to lock it in) as I routered it all to tight tolerances.
:p

Yes same here, Took me 5-8 years to sort of Finishing our Main TV room. I had a Photo and will find it because behind the Right Cabilnet I have Multi Switches Galore (8 in total for 8 dishes)to feed at least 10 Sat Boxes, Plus plenty of DISEqC Switches. I have use at least 2 k yes 2000 m of RG6 and or RG-11 for the distance;.
Only last week I did a Modification (behind the Right Cabinet) so the DISEqC Switches work faster and better in the Computer room to change the DISEqC being used. ONCE AGAIN DONT BELIEVE THE EXPERTS BECAUSE SOMETIME THEY ARE WRONG Because I did it and it works. You have to try.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
OLED is definitely susceptible to burn-in. As I’m hearing impaired I tend to use captions and the bottom part of the screen starts to resemble a very used typewriter ribbon! (One probably needs to be a certain age to understand the typewriter reference let alone the used ribbon bit!).

I have thought about replacing it but it’s difficult to find something with a similar dynamic range that isn‘t susceptible to burn-in. So, I put up with it and save my money until something better comes on the market.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I just bought a second hand Samsung 42” plasma TV. Wow!