Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are any of the Bolt on Supercharger Kits EPA Approved ?

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Are any of the YT, Come, Raptor Supercharger bolt on kits EPA or ADR approved yet ? HOw do they effect issues of rego, road worthy, insurance etc ?

Thanks.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
i think yella terra ones are adr approved thats fairly easy to get so some other may be aswell epa is a different story as its the emission side of things i think you'd have to get that done yourself

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Yeah, thanks for that. Just interested the impact on rego and insurance it may have if its not approved either way ?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
if it helps at all, my car is insured (full comp) for $800 a year, which is actually a little more than they ask because i pay by the month.
as far as roadworthy and everything goes in QLD it's piss easy, all you need is a mod plate, no engineering needed. i've not noticed anything with rego, could be wrong but i just pay it and don't take notice.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Zero chance of getting them epa approved in Vic. The moment you touch the ECU it's all over let alone all the other mods you need to make.

Reaper

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
So basically the systems are illegal ? So you cant even retune your ecu ? I can understand with the changer over systems, but i always thought you were allowed to tune the existing. Exhaust mods are legal i think insurance wise as long as you maintain the mufflers and car, but the 1 5/8 dont come with a EGR valve for Genies or Pacemaker which i know wouldnt make EPA happy.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
So basically the systems are illegal ? So you cant even retune your ecu ? I can understand with the changer over systems, but i always thought you were allowed to tune the existing. Exhaust mods are legal i think insurance wise as long as you maintain the mufflers and car, but the 1 5/8 dont come with a EGR valve for Genies or Pacemaker which i know wouldnt make EPA happy.

Yep. The moment you touch the intake or ECU you are pretty much fubar. There may be ways and means around it via an engineer but I suspect the hurdles would be onerous.

Reaper

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Thanks heaps for that Reaper. Just what i wanted to clarify.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
much less headaches if you just sold your car and bought another with an L67 in it