Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are extractors on v6 buick on P's in vic legal?

Sando2709

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR COMMODORE EXC BT1 V6 FE2
need to know because my passenger side manifold has cracked and has a hole in it. also will extractors make it go limp? ive got a mate that had extractors and took them off because the buick didnt like it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mine went better when i fitted Pacies.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
You may want the extractors but my local exhaust shop in Nowra did a successful crack repair on my passenger side manifold.
I think they heated the whole manifold first and buried it in sand or lime to retain the heat after the weld was done so that it cooled really slowly. Didn't cost much but I took it off and took it to them and re-installed it. I also fitted a manifold gasket to give it a little more wriggle room.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
There's still plenty of uncracked units out there to be had at a much cheaper price than fitting extractors. As far as P plate legal is concerned you should have absolutely no issues at all as it will only add a few extra Kw's which won't break the power to weight ratio bank that's for sure. It's not like you are fitting a Turbo or Supercharger etc.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
You may want the extractors but my local exhaust shop in Nowra did a successful crack repair on my passenger side manifold.
I think they heated the whole manifold first and buried it in sand or lime to retain the heat after the weld was done so that it cooled really slowly. Didn't cost much but I took it off and took it to them and re-installed it. I also fitted a manifold gasket to give it a little more wriggle room.

Sounds like they knew what they were doing.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yep we use builders lime at work when annealing before machining. Allows the metal to cool very slowly and avoids rapid contraction.

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssz crewman, wm caprice, 2018 prado, hq Belmont u
Be careful, in NSW, any modification that increases the output of a vehicle makes it a prohibited vehicle as far as P plate drivers are concerned....

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Technically speaking that rule applies to any car in any state, but they tend to turn a blind eye to it generally unless they really want to nail you for something. How they do this is about how the car is presented for compliance by the manufacturer in the first place so in reality you are changing the vehicle as it originally complied and that's their out every time.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Technically it wouldn't be allowed.
In all honesty, if the car isn't loud or excessively low then it would barely be noticed.

But if you want to avoid the conundrums, don't have them painted in some baby blue that stands out.