Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

are front brake calliper bolts torque-to-yield?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
No because you don't have to quote the customer. You say this 2million dollar machince needs XYZ and you get XYZ. So if any bolts need replacing you just get them and no one blinks an eye.
In light auto the margins are tighter.

Interesting statement...You're saying you just do what the boss tells you and if you don't like it, you don't do the work....

Here you are insinuating you quote up customers, so why don't you quote up for the replacement bolts?

robherron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
As far as I am aware, they are a standard bolt and as such I have treated them that way in the past.
Yeah I think they are just standard bolts too. If one comes loose it is probably just that it wasn't nipped up tight enough when put back .

z900collector

Reaction score
Members Ride
99VT 99VSUTE
No you're incorrect. TTY are brought to the point of yield where they retain elasticity this is how they clamp.
Look up the specs on Toyota 4cyl head bolts from about 2002 to 2012 they have a max length spec.
So they're reuseable even though they're torque to yield.

When a bolt is brought into the yield zone which is a large area on a graph it will stretch a little and the yield zone will change next time it is used. It's not plastic deformation that only happens if you exceed the elastic zone of the yield curve. When this happens the clamping force will drop slightly before shooting up. This section where the bolts force shoots up is the plastic zone where it's about to break.

You obviously don't fully understand torque to yield bolts.
TTY bolts are use once... end of story.... as stated by others, plastic deformation occurs and this is where it provides its clamping force... like a crankshaft bolt... use once and discard....

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
TTY bolts are use once... end of story.... as stated by others, plastic deformation occurs and this is where it provides its clamping force... like a crankshaft bolt... use once and discard....

We already went over this. Some manufactures provide a spec to re-use them. Just because some dont does not mean they aren't re-useable just the manufacture doesn't give that spec so they say replace.
Yes it is semantics but I thought I would bring that point up in my defence.