Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are late model vz sv6's fitted with euro 4 cats?

xSV666x

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 vz sv6 ute 6sp manual
As tittle says really is that wats standed in them? mines built jan07 and exhaust bloke reckons there euro 4s standed but have seen other sv6s with euro 3s and euro 2s (hi Flo's). So if I fit some 100 or 200cpsi cats what would actually happen to the car would it run rich etc.. Or just set the powertrain light off as some say they have euro 2 hi Flo's and no lights or problems?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
I have an SVZ built June 2007. It is Euro 4 compliant so therefore must/will have appropriate Catalytic Converters installed.

To modify, replace, change/ alter any item or device fitted to a motor vehicle (used on a road) that is subjected to ADR's (Australian Design Rules) is illegal. Therefore installing/replacing any such item/device must be to the same standard as the 'original equipment. Euro 4 complaint device fitted to a Euro 3 standard vehicle may be illegal. Check with authorities in your State to avoid embarrassment or inconveience.

xSV666x

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 vz sv6 ute 6sp manual
I have an SVZ built June 2007. It is Euro 4 compliant so therefore must/will have appropriate Catalytic Converters installed.

To modify, replace, change/ alter any item or device fitted to a motor vehicle (used on a road) that is subjected to ADR's (Australian Design Rules) is illegal. Therefore installing/replacing any such item/device must be to the same standard as the 'original equipment. Euro 4 complaint device fitted to a Euro 3 standard vehicle may be illegal. Check with authorities in your State to avoid embarrassment or inconveience.

HAHA :) yeah mate it sucks, what mods Arnt illegal these days? I'm not worried about cops to much as i have had a very loud exhaust system no mufflers etc. for over almost 2yrs (ended up with a few hotdogs and custom twin 3" Varex muffler with twin 2-1/2" piping to the muffler NOT 3" witch can be so deep and loud to near factory sound just alot deeper ) and have tried lots of exhaust combos and hardly Eva get pulled over even wen the stockies some how end up on the back only over night lol:) and even then get complimented on the car rather then defected and most cops or c**ts around the central coast as most ppl would all ready know. only need to know how it affects my car. Thanks anyway but I've read numours threads and adr statements. If it was such a no no y do half the vz and ve's on here have lower euro rating cats fitted?
Also i think the exhaust bloke put euro 3 hi Flo's but told me they where euro 4:(

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
All VZ's are Euro 4 compliant from factory. The cats have more heavy metals in them to reduce emissions further than a Euro 3 cat. It is perfectly legal to fit a Euro 4 cat on a Euro 3 car, but not vise versa. Not saying it can't be done, just not legally. The cats will only affect emissions, putting a Euro 3 cat on a VZ won't make it run any different, you will only fail an emissions test. Sometimes in the SV6, putting high flow pre Euro 4 cats on will result in a CEL because the post cat sensors will read as if the cats are not working.

There aren't many manufacturers doing Euro 3 and 4 high flow cats. There are NO legal 100 cell cats.

To answer your question xSV666x, people don't fit Euro 4 cats to the VZ because they are expensive. Usually about $100 a cat dearer than a Euro 3 cat. Exhaust shops would rather fit the cheaper Euro 3 cat than risk losing the job over price if quoting on a Euro 4 cat. Some won't compromise, but most do. At the end of the day, it is up to the customer to be informed, and if they knowingly fit a non compliant cat, it is on them, but the shop may be liable as well if they did the fitting.

xSV666x

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 vz sv6 ute 6sp manual
Thanks *not_an_abba_fan* I was going to pm u in the first place but didn't wona annoy u with it lol, oh ok so I can put some 200cpsi cats in but will just get the EML on the dash and nothing else like over fueling etc..? Coz I'm already getting that EML code p0430 and have been since I got my car bout 2 years ago and have had brand new extractors and cats fitted in that time was $1800 worth coz of the high flo euro 4s or could be 3s unsure now but the exhaust bloke said they were euro 4s and hi Flo's witch was $1200 of the bill just for the cats so he said lol probly bs now I think of it but wasn't my money! it was a truck company's witch had some goods damage my car, split my stainless pacies and smashed my cats so lucky it wasn't my cash and lucky they payed for all the upgraded exhaust hehe :) and also I rang a bloke round my way who does a lot of tuning and has a good name he said the after cat sensors can be removed from system via a tune rah rah rah 4 credits for a v6 rah rah rah and would be $600 so ask about a full tune he said $1250?? Is that right coz I swear Che does them for round $900 Guna give them a call and see tomorrow but any1 know of good tuners for sv6s around the central coast Sydney or Newcastle areas obviously not to far from the central coast tho lol

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Wow, expensive. I do Euro 4 bolt in cats off extractors for $850.

But no, 200 cell cats won't affect how the car runs.

xSV666x

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 vz sv6 ute 6sp manual
Wow, expensive. I do Euro 4 bolt in cats off extractors for $850.

But no, 200 cell cats won't affect how the car runs.

Mad Guna try some venom euro 3 coated? 200cpsi hi Flo's first, then maybe later get the euro 4s wen I've got more cash if I have any troubles with the euro 3 coated ones not shore wat the euro 3 coating ment as the guy said he can make them or order witch Eva in a euro 3 coated 200cpsi with o2 bung added for $350 a pair sent to my door. Wish I could get the euro 4s first time round but just haven't got that cash atm and one of my cats rattles a little (wen cold mainly) so just wona fix it the best way but stay cheap if was possible witch we all know is hardly the case most of the time lol

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Why do it twice. Do it once and be sorted then. If you can't afford it go buy a stock cat at the wreckers for the moment.

xSV666x

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 vz sv6 ute 6sp manual
Why do it twice. Do it once and be sorted then. If you can't afford it go buy a stock cat at the wreckers for the moment.

Was Guna do something like that but not shore wat cats are in atm so will need 2 of the same, ill call some wreckers tomorrow and get quotes on a pair, was trying to stick with buying new cats and the venom cats have a 2yr warranty with a no question asked replacement policy with reimbursement of return postage if anything goes wrong, thanks for the suggestion tho if I find some half decent condition cats ill most probly get 2nd hand ones for a little bit, cheers

xSV666x

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 vz sv6 ute 6sp manual
What would be the best size cats for the twin 2-1/2" system I'm not shore wat size are in atm and I know my exhaust is pretty much to big unless cam or sc was fitted lol so would 2-25" cats be better then 2-5", also have mace pod box with drift air filter and 25mm insulators but don't think it sucks enough air still for my exhaust but it may help haha