Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are Mal Wood automotive,MWA, short shifters for tr6060 any good?

VFSSVfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Hi,
I want to improve my SSV series 2 gearshift by making it more direct & less rubbery.But I am anxious to avoid any increase in noise or vibration if possible.
I read that Mal Woods Automotive,MWA, claim to be the best short shifter.I would greatly appreciate any opinions & many thanks in advance.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Before spending the cash I would try replacing the bush at the bottom of the shifter with a brass/bronze/metal one first, might give you what you're after. Typically they're made of plastic from factory and they wear out over time or have too much give. It's a super common replacement for Silvias and Skylines and also typically fixes a lot of other shifting issues outside of the crappy worn bush and shifter feel too. This was the first link I found, have no idea if this company is any good but gives you a good idea of what and where it is - https://core-shifters.com/products/...-cts-v-gt500-g8-t56-tr6060?variant=8018869379

Also, from experience in other cars avoid ebay short shifters, your question kinda says you wanted to avoid that anyway. Just my opinion (I haven't used a Ripshift or anything similar before) but I find short shifters annoying (particularly in daily cars) and don't really do much for me or make it shift that much faster real world. Would strongly suggest you try to test drive something with one (any brand) first before you commit to buying.

Last edited:

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Can vouch for Core Shifters
Have bought a couple of items from him off of his Ebay store

As R_J_K linked above, use the plastic replacement shifter bush
Don't use the aftermarket metal/bronze bush if you don't want an increase in noise, all they seem to do is amplify the operating noise of the transmission through the gearstick

Have you looked into a Ripshifter by GM Motorsport
I fitted one to my car a few years ago and I honestly wouldn't use anything else, all the Ebay cheapies and other half arsed copies that I have driven just don't feel as solid and direct as the Ripshifter does...….But everybody is different, and each to their own when it comes to mods

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
I had the bronze shifter bush and mal wood shifter on my au xr8 and it was great,totally different box but the shifter quality and feel is great compared to a stock shifter,i would also recommend the bronze bush(think mine was a cube brand from ebay) im guessing it would be noisier than stock though but it greatly improves shifter feel and operation over a rubber bush,especially if its rooted already:).
I did have the mal wood shifter on my t56 xr8 as well which is a very similar box and it also felt great.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
......Have you looked into a Ripshifter by GM Motorsport. I fitted one to my car a few years ago and I honestly wouldn't use anything else, all the Ebay cheapies and other half arsed copies that I have driven just don't feel as solid and direct as the Ripshifter does...….But everybody is different, and each to their own when it comes to mods

+1 for Ripshifter. Used one in my 427 HSV VX GTS for many years. Much better than the standard shifter.