Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are Pitbulls illegal in S.A

Status
Not open for further replies.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Have to disagree with Jester on this one...I grew up with German Shepherds, for 30 years my parents bred and showed them. In that 30 years we also witnessed a few dog attacks. Dogs that were owned by responsible owners. Many of the attacks reported to the KCC(Now the ANKC) at the time were by Pitbulls. these pitbulls again had responsible owners and these attacks took place without any provocation and in front of many many people. I am not talking about a nip because some idiot parent was not in control of their children, I am talking about judges in a show ring, people on sidelines etc.

These are dangerous breeds of dogs and they have not been banned for the fun of it, they have been banned based on advise from various bodies such as the ANKC who have provided further education in the past for these types of dogs. When a breed like this dog randomly attack like this, you cannot reasonably accept that the breed is not banned.

While I accept idiots account for some dog attacks, some dogs should simply not be allowed to be here based on their history in this country and many others. Over representation based on head counts will do this to anything. Much could be done for some of the humans in this country.

Oh for the record, that is my opinion based on facts, not media hype.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Have to disagree with Jester on this one...I grew up with German Shepherds, for 30 years my parents bred and showed them. In that 30 years we also witnessed a few dog attacks. Dogs that were owned by responsible owners. Many of the attacks reported to the KCC(Now the ANKC) at the time were by Pitbulls. these pitbulls again had responsible owners and these attacks took place without any provocation and in front of many many people. I am not talking about a nip because some idiot parent was not in control of their children, I am talking about judges in a show ring, people on sidelines etc.

These are dangerous breeds of dogs and they have not been banned for the fun of it, they have been banned based on advise from various bodies such as the ANKC who have provided further education in the past for these types of dogs. When a breed like this dog randomly attack like this, you cannot reasonably accept that the breed is not banned.

While I accept idiots account for some dog attacks, some dogs should simply not be allowed to be here based on their history in this country and many others. Over representation based on head counts will do this to anything. Much could be done for some of the humans in this country.

Oh for the record, that is my opinion based on facts, not media hype.

I see where you are coming from and I understand that what you are saying is based on facts from your direct experiences, but I still think that the attacks you mentioned are a minority that could be accounted for by the personality of individual dogs rather than a temprament disposition of the breed.

Same as say as a species, some humans choose to be criminals or less than stand out citizens. This doesn't mean that ALL humans have that disposition.

It's mainly dependant on up bringing and then a minor part is played by mental disposition.

Same can be applied to dogs I think. There will be the few in a breed that are born bad. But the majority of the issue is due to environmental influences.

That and the fact when a pitt bull decides to snap it has a very powerful weapon as it's disposal. If we want to talk about tempraments of breeds then we should be looking at every fluffy mop dog in the park.

The amount of times little pot things are aggresive is staggering, just it doesn't make the news because it's not going to do anything even at it's most vicious. Every time I'd walk my Rotti it would have atleast 3 to 4 yapping little mops go mental at it and everyone thought it was oh so cute.

But if the Rotti has enough as barked back, he was a dangerous dog this and I shouldn't have such a dog because I couldn't control him.

One bark from a Rotti vs an aggresive onslaught of barking, growling and pouncing from a mop.

I can guarantee that if the mop bit the Rotti no one would care but if the Rotti bite the mop it would be on the news.

I would imagine there would be cases at dog shows where little mops would attach a judge for whatever reason, but the end result would be maybe broken skin and it would soon be forgotten. Probably laughed off even.

I know this was the case when we used to go to puppy school and dog training classes. No one even batted an eyelid over the little aggresive dogs but when a big down had a moment they where asked to leave the class and come back once the dog was "ready to re-join the class".

That is just the opinion I've put together based on having owner 1 German Shepard, 1 Rottweiler and the various situations I was presented with as just your average dog owner.

Having said all that, I have to admit that I would not trust say a kid anywhere near a pitbull. I sometimes was nervous when there was kids playing with the Rotti even though I knew he was the friendliest dog. Mainly, because I know that I have off days where I snap at anyone who annoys me and I feel that dogs can be exactly the same. But unlike me, they are well equiped to do serious damage in a very short amount of time.

Sharoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Grandpa Spec 5.7L VX Berlina
With the wrong owners any dog is a potential killer. I have a dog has been accused of being a pitbull. I got her from the rspca as a Staffy x. Its easy to wrongly identify the dogs, look at this- Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull
Treated right they are very loyal dogs who aim to please their owners, whether that means behaving or tearing another dog apart in the pits. Take a look at the Micheal Vick dogs- The Michael Vick dogs make a comeback | Need to Know They were trained fighters and have all be rehabilitated into pets.
I'm glad they are banned as too many idiots see them as a Tough social Status and treat them horribly. I personally do not see them as blood thirsty killers, however are too much dog for the average person to handle.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Aren't they just variations of bull terriers that used to fight in pits? There is no dividing line on what they look like which can classify the difference between an American Staffy and pitbull.

Behaviours, so two dogs can look identical and if they behave differently are different breeds? the vet will decide by asking whether it wants a carbon tax? you have to be kidding.

I cant understand why anyone would want these ugly and potentially lethal animals as a family pet.

Staffies, both American and English, are a very placid dog. They love attention and are little sooks. They are a fantastic family dog if you have a lot of energy, young kids etc.

While just looking at them, at a glance they dont look that much different to Pit Bulls, the face is usually a dead give away.

Although a smart breeder could hide anything.

The problem I have with people registering these dogs as Staffy's is irresponsible owners, tarnishing a harmless breed of dogs name.

Also, what a carbon tax has anything to do with anything related to this thread I do not know, but congratulations for inserting your silly religion in a completely unrelated topic.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
I wouldnt have a child with a rottie or a pitbull. Atleast not a small child.

My staffy doesn't like my step brother. If he sits down next to her she will just will walk off, doesnt growl or bark. Because when she was a pup and when he was young he pulled on her tail. The child doesnt think its wrong, the dog finds it irritating.

Around everyone else though she just wants to be patted and is always excited to see new people.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
If we want to talk about tempraments of breeds then we should be looking at every fluffy mop dog in the park.

I have a maltese shih tzu who is now 6 years old, I have had him since he was 8 weeks old and he has never been treated unkindly. However he can be quite grumpy sometimes and has bitten all 3 of us here at least once, twice hard enough to draw blood.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
No Ari he doesn't otherwise I would probably (sadly) have got rid of him.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I wouldnt have a child with a rottie or a pitbull. Atleast not a small child.

My staffy doesn't like my step brother. If he sits down next to her she will just will walk off, doesnt growl or bark. Because when she was a pup and when he was young he pulled on her tail. The child doesnt think its wrong, the dog finds it irritating.

Around everyone else though she just wants to be patted and is always excited to see new people.

The thing with Pit bulls is they rarely attack their owners, it is almost ALWAYS someone else and almost always unprovoked.

Status
Not open for further replies.