Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are running good quality speakers without a amp bad ?

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
Hey all

I'm ready to upgrade all the door speakers in my ve and I was thinking alpine type r splits in the rear and either alpine or pioneer 2 way speakers in the rear doors.

I'm hearing mixed responses to people saying good speakers like this need a amp to be run off and if you don't its really not good for them.

I know running them off a amp will make it way better so lets say if I just install them to the current headunit, will that be a issue ?

Thanks

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
There aren't any issues as long as you don't turn the H/U up to the point of distortion. Otherwise they will run fine.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Should be fine without ampage.

Does the stock VE headunit have an rca?

HUX 90

POSION VE SS UTE
Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS UTE
I have alpine type R running off the stock head unit and not amping them was a big mistake, hence why I have now bought an amp to run them properly

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
I have alpine type R running off the stock head unit and not amping them was a big mistake, hence why I have now bought an amp to run them properly

I second that. They sound quieter than stock without an amp. Remember to use sound deadener in the doors to get punchier bass.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
The stock speakers are 2 ohm, so putting aftermarket 4 ohm speakers means the head unit will only supply them with half the power the stock speakers would have received. Plus aftermarket speakers are less efficient so they'll be quieter again. The only benefit you'll have is clearer sound and they won't distort as quickly, you head unit may though.

It will work but it is not ideal.

The 10th Doctor

ambitious but rubbish
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE SS-V
I was thinking alpine type r splits in the rear and either alpine or pioneer 2 way speakers in the rear doors.

I hope you mean Type-R Splits in the front and 2-ways at the rear! In any case, I don't think you will have an issue. I'm currently running my Polk db6501's off the headunit (They're 4 ohm 100w rms/300w max) for a few weeks until the amp and LOC I've ordered arrives. You will be wasting the potential of the Type-R's and, really, getting an amp put in isn't too expensive.

Does the stock VE headunit have an rca?

Nope. You need Phreddy to wire them in or a LOC.

The stock speakers are 2 ohm

The stock ones out of mine are 4 ohm.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
I'm in a similar boat here, but I have a VS with stock speakers and aftermarket headunit with decent subs. If I got the type R component speakers, any idea how much bass they should handle? My current speakers distort at average volume. Sorry if hijacking thread

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Its not necessary to amp them but it is a good idea. If you amp them they wont receive a clipped signal like they will up loud from the HU, you will have better sound quality with an amp provided its not a shitty amp and if you buy the right amp you can set the high pass filter so they wont distort trying to play the low frequency deep bass like your subs can without an issue. The only con is you need to wire them and find somewhere to put the amp.

In short you dont have to run an amp but the pros far out way the cons and you will not regret using an amp.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Get real speakers not Alpine garbage for a start. Amp is always the best way.