Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are The Bolts Holding The Auto to the Motor The Same As The Manuals

xtreme_sony

MY VP IS NOW A MANUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Series 2, 3.8L Executive
Hi doin a manual conversion, i am one bolt short of the bolts that hold the Manual Bellhousing to the motor, i am wondering, Are the bolts holding the auto to the motor the Same ?. Cheers guys, might be a silly question but i just wanna know before i start. :w00t:

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
So long as the bellhousings are the same thickness, you should be sweet :p

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Auto and manual bolts are the same. I got manual bolts with my gearbox but reused the auto ones instead because they were cleaner/newer. The bellhousings may be 1-2mm different in thickness, but theres still like 10-20mm of depth left in the bolt holes after the bolts are tightened anyway.

xtreme_sony

MY VP IS NOW A MANUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers Mate, Yer thats what i Thought

Auto and manual bolts are the same. I got manual bolts with my gearbox but reused the auto ones instead because they were cleaner/newer. The bellhousings may be 1-2mm different in thickness, but theres still like 10-20mm of depth left in the bolt holes after the bolts are tightened anyway.

Yer thanks mate, thats pretty much what i thought but i just wanted 2 double check. So how's your Car Going After The Conversion ?.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Yer thanks mate, thats pretty much what i thought but i just wanted 2 double check. So how's your Car Going After The Conversion ?.

No worries. Umm so far so good. Its ALOT more fun to drive, and no slipping due to no torque converter is awesome! You can get wheelspin in 2nd in the dry without even touching the clutch ;). Makes the car feel lighter too because its so easy to throw around.

...in my driveway.

xtreme_sony

MY VP IS NOW A MANUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
Awesome, Yer i have that Torque Converter Slip Aswell

No worries. Umm so far so good. Its ALOT more fun to drive, and no slipping due to no torque converter is awesome! You can get wheelspin in 2nd in the dry without even touching the clutch ;). Makes the car feel lighter too because its so easy to throw around.

...in my driveway.

Yer i have that Torque Converter Slip Aswell, I cant wait to get rid of that, its annoying. And i just love manuals way more than autos, i have people that are like why would you wanna down grade your car, maybe an auto is worth more but i ain't selling her and Autos just bore me to death so should i have it how i want it. MANUAL ALL THE WAY. So when you converted it did it all go smooth, or anything you had any trouble with ?. :bow:

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
hahahaha "downgrade". I like that. Theyre just jelous because they cant drive a real car. All my mates diddnt even question when I said Im converting it to manual :). The benefits are endless! No slip, less power loss, less weight, less oil to cart around (auto = 11L, man= 2L), better fuel consumption, BETTER BRAKE PAD LIFE, and all the little details which I cant be bothered going in to. Oh, and its also safer! You dont get bored while driving meaning less chance of "zoning out" or falling asleep at the wheel :). Sure autos may hold a greater value, but 99% of people would pay more for a manual because its a rarity.

My conversion went pretty smooth. The hardest part was getting the manual box in. I bolted up the bell housing first thinking it would be less weight to lift = easier. But that ment we had to move the further = harder when laying on your back while the cars on stands. Had to get a mate over to help me with that part. But all in all wasnt as hard as I thought it would be. Just make sure you have loctite and a torque wrench + various socket extensions and you should be sweet.

georgeonboost

clutch it!
Reaction score
Members Ride
slammed VP EXEC
yep agreed...i did a manual conversion on my VP just last week but i pulled my motor out and put a new one in so i bolted everything up out of the car and dropped the motor and box in together. i love driving my car with a manual now! so much more fun!

George