Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are the (MSE/Director) & Magnum the best factory standard performance sedans/utes ever made?

Onlt vote if you've driven an LE and at least a few other marques

• The e39 M5 is still the benchmark

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Driven hard, really hard, these cars come to life, where many others (not all) are reaching their factory limts.
Some owners have tracked their's, others like me have driven them hard through some very twisty roads, that are a match made in heaven. Some may have only cruised around the burbs.
So, what are other's views on this, after driving these awesome machines hard?

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
I voted yes.

My personal experience having unlocked my MSEs reserves with an upgrade and then doing both tight twisty roads and taking it to the track, is that this car is exceptional. I also use it as my daily and its perfect. Always engaging with a manual, fun and loud when I want and swap to tour when the roads are bumpy or I don't want to wake my neighbours up. The most complete Commodore with both sporty bits and luxury bits from the Calais models.

When you factor in the price point vs any European competitor with similar performance and engagement it makes the MSEs proposition unequalled.

We've all seen the famous Motortrend video where they love the Chevvy SS with MRC and give it the crown over the e39 M5.

My good friend who works at Ford and drove my MSE was shocked at how good it was and how much better than the Mustangs he's driven it was. He said it was immediately easy to drive and confidence inspiring and he couldn't believe how glued to the road it was.

There's still plenty for sale and at $70k they're a bloody bargain, go pick one up!

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I might add: I've not driven or even been in many euro / jap hi perf sedans or utes. So, I'm not voting. I don't quaify. So if you have, please vote and explain your answer!
Really interested to hear real world comparo's. If there are none then I will request the thread be closed.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I might add: I've not driven or even been in many euro / jap hi perf sedans or utes. So, I'm not voting. I don't quaify. So if you have, please vote and explain your answer!
Really interested to hear real world comparo's. If there are none then I will request the thread be closed.
Been in plenty of fast Fords though. Some go like stink! None stack up in my mind but, **** chassis and interior/tech.

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385

I've driven fast falcons and mustangs and their chassis and seating position let them down.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Care to elaborate on what you think is PH?

I've only driven the Magnum so my input on the LE subject is small but my experience with Commodores is wide.

As much as I believe these cars are fantastic value as performance vehicles and do a tremendous job all over the park and I would recommend anyone interested in buying a performance Euro hop in for a test drive so they can benchmark the money they are about to outlay, they have one inherent problem and that is their inability to launch well.

All my Euros kill the Commodore in that regard (regardless of power output) and that is the area where most of us would experience a car's performance.

Everywhere else the Commodore can hold it's head up high except for the quality of build materials but that's something that comes with paying a huge wad of extra cash.

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
I've only driven the Magnum so my input on the LE subject is small but my experience with Commodores is wide.

As much as I believe these cars are fantastic value as performance vehicles and do a tremendous job all over the park and I would recommend anyone interested in buying a performance Euros hop in for a test drive so they can benchmark the money they are about to outlay, they have one inherent problem and that is their inability to launch well.

All my Euros kill the Commodore in that regard (regardless of power output) and that is the area where most of us would experience a car's performance.

Everywhere else the Commodore can hold it's head up high except for the quality of build materials but that's something that comes with paying a huge wad of extra cash.

This is a fair point. I've seen countless videos of european cars with similar/less power than my MSE launching better and with a 1s faster 0-100 times. Talking RWD cars too.

What I will say though is that my MSEs is "fast enough" for me given I'm not drag racing it and fast launches aren't really that relevant for me. It certainly pushes me back in my seat and feels great and is too fast for the road.