Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are the (MSE/Director) & Magnum the best factory standard performance sedans/utes ever made?

Onlt vote if you've driven an LE and at least a few other marques

• The e39 M5 is still the benchmark

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I've driven one and would prefer their sound to the silence you get from some performance cars.
Mustard mitt, I’ve only heard them from the outside; maybe they don’t sound like the rear muffler has collapsed from rust when you’re inside one? I’d definitely prefer the better-half’s deathly-quiet VF1!

A few US based journo's have claimed the Chevy SS, was a better drive than the e39, when new.
I’m not entirely convinced that comparing “favourably” to a 25yo car isn’t damning with faint praise ...

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Mustard mitt, I’ve only heard them from the outside; maybe they don’t sound like the rear muffler has collapsed from rust when you’re inside one? I’d definitely prefer the better-half’s deathly-quiet VF1!

My neighbour doesn't like the sound of the Harley that lives two doors down on the other side of him but I love it, horses for courses.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I don’t like the sound of Harleys either, but the guy two doors up has a vintage Triumph & Ducati which sound cool.
I suspect it’s the low-rentness of the Harley lawnmower engine which upsets me.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

The V-twin sludge pump?

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
Mmm, the Golf R's awesome seats that actually hold you in them, the awesome sound system, the digital cockpit dash, decent build quailty, go kart handling, performance and 4 motion sold it for me. Yes I am going to miss the Motorsport, but honestly it's not a lot different to the 3 previous VF's I have owned. Same old dash, same old mylink and design. But certainly the best Holden have produced in the VF range.
But just outdated in technology. To me there is more to a car than exhaust and engine note. Since there is just me and my wife it is a large car for just 2 people. It will go to a good home, hopefully!

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I don’t like the sound of Harleys either, but the guy two doors up has a vintage Triumph & Ducati which sound cool.

My Dad used to race Ducati’s in the 50’s & 60’s and we still have some of the old girls in storage.

I don’t mind the sound and a couple of my mates think they are the ducks guts but I find the rattle wears me down.

Take one on a trip and you’ll understand what I mean.

He has a ’74 Norton Commando that I believe sounds better then all the above bikes.

As I said my neighbour hates the sound of our local Harley and he would include all of the above mentioned bikes as well as they are just an offensive noise to him but I grew up around loud bikes and love to hear them go by.

Which takes me back to my point that it doesn't matter what you and I like as sound is just as subjective as looks and it depends on how your ear works to what you get off on.

There are a lot of people on the AMG forums that love the sound of the A45 & CLA45, I don't mind them but as a preference I'd much rather the N/A M156 and my first love is an old 308 thong slapper followed by a Cleveland in second.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
For all ze pompous wank about AMG, the tune house for Daimler, and the Motorsport Division of BMW, Audi and Porsche (VAG) and it’s piss poor effort to produce a decent NA V8 [too pathetic to even rate] our LS3 in its last full tune iteration from Holden’s tune house was the most powerful, king of the heap at 340 kW (456 HP). And let me tell you that is not tuned within an inch of its life such that it requires extensive expensive life support within 100,000 km or destined to depreciate and die a slow death in some old codger’s garage, like ze ‘elite’ Germans.
Good luck getting more power out of a W156 as Sonny from Autowerks has tried with a passion. Whereas for three to five grand our V8 with FBO and a tune will get 385+ kW (517 HP).
Don’t let the expensive landed price of the foreign made Euro wank get in the way the facts, our lightweight high powered little V8 sleeved into our locally made Zeta is a world beater. Even the last run detuned and beaten into emission submission:
View media item 487We already know that, the main point is a pity the KOM didnt go full paleo lose weight and gain some muscles instead.
Easy fixed, rip the guts out Barry!
Forget the gadgets get rid of the fat cat crap, spend $5-$10k for sensible driveline race prep to match the livery.
I mean honestly, RPO is KOM, should be a kick arse tribute much more minimalist aggressive production series stylee...

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I’m not entirely convinced that comparing “favourably” to a 25yo car isn’t damning with faint praise ...
It's was 15yo. Still considered by many as the benchmark.
I'm not entirely convinced your not a subtle troll?:p

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
For all ze pompous wank about AMG, the tune house for Daimler, and the Motorsport Division of BMW, Audi and Porsche (VAG) and it’s piss poor effort to produce a decent NA V8 [too pathetic to even rate] our LS3 in its last full tune iteration from Holden’s tune house was the most powerful, king of the heap at 340 kW (456 HP). And let me tell you that is not tuned within an inch of its life such that it requires extensive expensive life support within 100,000 km or destined to depreciate and die a slow death in some old codger’s garage, like ze ‘elite’ Germans.
Good luck getting more power out of a W156 as Sonny from Autowerks has tried with a passion. Whereas for three to five grand our V8 with FBO and a tune will get 385+ kW (517 HP).
Don’t let the expensive landed price of the foreign made Euro wank get in the way the facts, our lightweight high powered little V8 sleeved into our locally made Zeta is a world beater. Even the last run detuned and beaten into emission submission:
View media item 487We already know that, the main point is a pity the KOM didnt go full paleo lose weight and gain some muscles instead.
Easy fixed, rip the guts out Barry!
Forget the gadgets get rid of the fat cat crap, spend $5-$10k for sensible driveline race prep to match the livery.
I mean honestly, RPO is KOM, should be a kick arse tribute much more minimalist aggressive production series stylee...
Sometimes I want to hug you. Then I want to smack you down.:p
Your ideals are yours, not everyone's. Christ almighty!:confused:

I looked at a VY SV8 pov pack back then. Not for me, I like nice cars. Not gutted out ones. What next, no radio and a leather strap for the windows? If you want a car like that, buy used and build it.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Sometimes I want to hug you. Then I want to smack you down.:p
Your ideals are yours, not everyone's. Christ almighty!:confused:
Yeah smack yourself on the back of the head, not everyone shares the factory’s ideal in terms of productisation.