Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are the VE Omegas quick or slow?

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA xr6 turbo Heinrich tuned to 300 rwkw's
Hi, I'm just wondering about the performance of the VE Omega, I've read road tests which say the 180 kw engine struggles with the extra weight of the VE body and other reports which state that the VE Omega is much more lively than the VZ Exec 175kw previous model.

Some road tests suggest that the Omega is as quick as the VZ Exec and others say it's faster whilst I've seen another report which quotes just under 10 secs 0-100 which is not that impressive.

Obviously the equivalent BF Falcon is going to be faster due to the extra torque, but in the real world how do you VE Omega owners out there find them to be as far as performance and refinement goes?

I know as a fact that the Alloytec 180 is a lot smoother than the alloytec 175 and as far as I know the grumpy 4L60e 4 speed auto behaves in a much better way to. Thanks:)

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
ive driven a few omegas and they dont feel they have the poke of the vz

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
ive driven a few omegas and they dont feel they have the poke of the vz
the ve is quicker than a vz, full stop....., im guessing the assistance of 3.27:1 diff ratio and the throttle control doughyness being sorted out makes it pick up alot easier

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Grandmother has a ve lumina, when i took it for a drive i couldn't beleive how responsive the engine was.It would pull her old vz inside out for power.

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
all this and it has an extra 100+kg to carry, not too shabby at all :) . They haven't just whacked the alloytec in and left it at that, it's received new slimmer timing chains, scores the VIM from the 190, the changes to the ETC as andy pointed out and the good ol 4spd with its new input speed sensor cleans up the old auto substantially, even the journos who gave it a canning pre-VZ and now they are praising it. Still life left in the 4spd yet.

P.S. love ya avatar Juz :yeah:

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
Yeah my uncles got a VE SV6, and i couldnt believe how quick is was compared to my VY, even on take off it goes pretty good, with the 5 speed auto...

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA xr6 turbo Heinrich tuned to 300 rwkw's
Thanks guys the only ones I can afford at the moment are the white ex cop VE's with about 55,000 km's on them, I previously had an ex cop VX and the main thing I noticed was how much the engine and road/tyre noise intruded into the cabin but the rear was well insulated against noise ie on a wet road you could hardly hear the water under the tyres from the rear. Then I got a non police VT wagon and it is much quieter than the VX was.

Question: Could it be that due to being a police pack it had some sound deadening material removed? It certainly sounded like it and I really hope the VE ex cop cars don't have the same issue....I really love quiet, refined cars which is why I was complaining about the old 4 speeder still being used in the VE, it's a pain in my VT and it was also a pain in my VX hunting up and down gears when going up hills and holding onto 3rd until the car was shaking before finally kicking back to 2nd after almost flooring my foot.

I must say that the Mitsubishi 380 really impresses me they are smooth and refined with a great engine/chassis and 5 speed auto and reach 100 kph in 7.3 secs but I want a rear wheel drive so that's that.

Finally it is only the OMEGA I am asking about in this thread as that is all I can afford so no matter how fast or good the SV6 is I can't get one, so when people have said how fast the VE is in this thread were they only referring to the Omega? Thanks everyone you have been a great help, all the best for 08 and drive safely.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
yes i was refering to the omega, they have sorted out there 4speeders and it appears to be a competant performer, i also believe the interior plastics and rubbers seem the be more durable/higher quality than some of its japanese friends, think new rav4's eith solid plastic dash and inserts etc,

alloytec recieved a revised timing chain and water pump and i must say they now sound quite nice, not so whinney,

the extra noises in the front may have resulted from firewall grommets not being sealed properly after it was demobed from police installers

also dont buy a 380, resale value is appalling as the car is a big flop