Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are the VE Omegas quick or slow?

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA xr6 turbo Heinrich tuned to 300 rwkw's
I'd only buy a 380 from the Gov auctions ES models with 55,000 km's on them for between 15 and 17K approx, the only good thing about depreciation is the used car bargain, I would not buy any car new.

I thought it was only the Ford and Holden fully sick brigade which put each other's choice of car down ie ford **** or holdens suck etc etc, you know what I mean. Well it seems that all car makes have loyalists bagging rival models, there is a Toyota forum with a link to a video clip showing a 400m drag race between the Aurion,BF XT, 380 and VE Omega, they finished in that order to, the Aurion did have a gap between the other three the Omega was last the 380 just behind the Ford. The Toyota supporters are critisizing the Omega heaps for losing and for everything else to. Can you remember the add in 1999 showing a Toyota Camry manual dragging a Holden and Ford off in a 400m race on TV? Hey, Toyotas are great world class Japanese cars and the Aurion is no doubt a ripper, but the other three cars featured are truly Australian and I'm proud of that, two of them (the 380 and the Omega) are made in Adelaide where I live, our cars have come a long way since the FJ Holden and XK Falcon, I will always only buy one of these three makes, I am loyal to all three, still wish the Omega went at least as fast as the Ford or 380 in that race, never mind , maybe there will be re-flash updates to the Alloytec 180 sometime to unleash more kw's, I've heard that both Alloytecs have a very mild (restrained) state of tune to allow for updates with later models.

Last edited:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
No secret the Aurion is quick, I thought the 380 might have been quicker than the BF. But beside the total rubbish torque to weight ratio the VE V6 is a far better drivers car and that's why it will sell. It will be a long time yet before most Australians are willing to give in to the car makers that push for cheaper to build FWD cars

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah Aurion is lighter but has not got much torque, FWD are cheaper but in the 380 at it's own peril, if it had been a RWD (rear drive components from a 4WD Mitsubishi etc) it would have been a greater hit and fun to drive. I think the 380 is quicker than the BF up to 100 kph but the BF's linear torque (383 nm @ 2500 rpm I think) realed it in. It is a real shame that the VE couldn't somehow have similar torque to the BF (VE's 180 kw is still ok for 1690 kg) but that would involve bigger capacity and longer stroke for the Alloytec, but lack of torque is it's biggest issue I think.

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE is much quicker than a VZ... Its the fastest stock V6 commodore since the VP in terms of holden and wheels released times.

Does anyone have these Holden and Wheels acceleration times of the Omega?

I've also heard that the Omega has the SV6 software allowing for hot tuning, can anyone verify this.

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
According to wheels.

Omega 180kW 4spd...107kW/tonne

0-100 - 8.1
0-400m - 15.8

Not too shabby at all for a 1690Kg car.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
who gives a crap whether the falcon is faster than a commodore, ill buy a car that is more comfortable, i can get in and out of easy and is good for driving around town, ve ticks the boxes for me not because im biased, id buy an aurion straight away because i think they look great and have an exceptional drivetrain, the falcon however is old (2002), everytime i get in and out of one my legs get caught under the steering wheel and they arnt as poky/edgy driving around town like commos are

just wait until the falcons come with v6 in 2 years thatll bring it in line with the commodores as the new engine has a power figure very close to the allloytec / japanese v6's ie high power lower torque

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
According to wheels.

Omega 180kW 4spd...107kW/tonne

0-100 - 8.1
0-400m - 15.8

Not too shabby at all for a 1690Kg car.

That's quite quick considering the extra weight and to achieve better economy as well, very clever. I checked the times for the VZ 0-100=8.3 0-400m 16.0

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
who gives a crap whether the falcon is faster than a commodore, ill buy a car that is more comfortable, i can get in and out of easy and is good for driving around town, ve ticks the boxes for me not because im biased, id buy an aurion straight away because i think they look great and have an exceptional drivetrain, the falcon however is old (2002), everytime i get in and out of one my legs get caught under the steering wheel and they arnt as poky/edgy driving around town like commos are

just wait until the falcons come with v6 in 2 years thatll bring it in line with the commodores as the new engine has a power figure very close to the allloytec / japanese v6's ie high power lower torque

Yeah I prefer the comfort thing and to me it's not so much what is faster, rather as to whether or not the VE is under powered which if it can do 15.8 secs 400m it certainly isn't, but there is more to cars than 0-100 and 0-400m, it is the overall flexibility in the real world that counts.

It will be interesting to see how the new Falcon is when it comes out, and then later when Ford use a V6 it will probably be inline with the Japanese engines but I think ford will work hard to get more torque than the Japanese engines.

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
but there is more to cars than 0-100 and 0-400m, it is the overall flexibility in the real world that counts.

BINGO! now that you have said that, when you buying a VE :D:whistling

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450