Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are there 2 fuel filters on VF 6.0 CALAIS SEDAN?

warrick

Reaction score
Website
members.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VF 6.0 CALAIS V
hi
i know this has probably been answered somewhere on here but a couple of searches bought nothing up. i know there is a fuel filter in the tank with the pump but is there an external one in line somewhere as well?
many thanks
warrick

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
there is a strainer on the inlet of the pump then a filter straight after the pump before it leaves the module so the finer stuff cant get to the injectors

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Abreviated description from the VF workshop manual:

The paper element fuel filter is located in the primary fuel pump module filter housing while a fuel strainer which normally does not require maintenance attaches to the lower end of the primary fuel pump module.

The purpose of the paper fuel fillter is to trap particles in the fuel that may damage the injectors while the purpose of the fuel strainer is to filter contaminants and wick up the fuel.

Sadly, in my brief scan of the doc, i found no section that describes how to replace the fuel filter o_O

Slow at typing while looking through the manual so ninjaed by @07GTS

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i think with the effort it takes to change the filter may as well just do the whole module so u know it's all good

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not being able to find anything within the downloaded VF/WN/HSV workshop manual, i'm curious how the fuel filter is actually replaced?

So does anyone have anything to share about the fuel filter replaceemnt other than what has already been stated?

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
just need a smart person to work out a bypass the same as they do motorbikes like mine the in tank high pressure fuel filter gets clog up with crap and there a seal unit and very dear to replace so just drill a 10mm hole at inlet to bypass the filter and fit a external filter (one of a vz should work} fuel line hose clamps. quick connects
https://www.efihardware.com/products/c473/Quick-Disconnect-Fittings

i made the same comment in the thread when a ve/vf ute a bloke owns said it takes about 5 hours to replace a fuel pump assembly by dropping exhaust, tail shaft fuel tank, what a headache
heres the thead https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/commodore-ve-designers-are-c-cks.270201/

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well the Holden Service & Warranty Booklet states "fuel filter: In tank - not required under normal driving conditions". Sadly it doesn't clarify additional service measures as is done for oil and oil filters, for example.

Most vehicles i've owned require a fuel filter change around the 75,000km mark.

Now i'm puzzled as to the fairy dust used by Holden for it's Fuel filter which result in no filter change requirements over the 117 months or 195,000kms of service schedual as documented within the Service and Warranty Booklet.

So what does that mean for servicing our vehicles?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Cost for new bucket and filter bits less level assembly is about $250.
Repost, same deal with the filters:
As an overview what you need is a pair of tin snips, a peg fer yer nose, a replacement pump motor or OEM drop-in Pump basket with filter sock (can RE-use sender).
View media item 465View media item 454View media item 455View media item 456View media item 457View media item 458View media item 464View media item 459View media item 460View media item 461View media item 462View media item 463Can provide more details and options but that’s the gist.