Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are there any drawback with a tune

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
They can often turn off or hide faults and codes from appearing and causing issues.
Like O2 sensor faults due to cats.
Or turn off the Maf Sensor (changing to Map) and tune out or turn down other sensors, But each tuner may do different hings.
That’s really the only thing that niggles at me with my SSV. Mine was tuned by a previous owner so who knows what has been turned off or hidden. I just hope it was all done above board.

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
All our Commodores left the factory with a pretty generic, safe tune, so you could get away with running any old fuel and still be okay. Running solely 98 means you can add some timing then play with the VE/VVE tables to get fuelling better dialed in. PE (power enrichment) can be adjusted to come in earlier and target AFR changed to suit. Turning off torque management in the engine is common but leave some in the 6l80 trans tables if you want it to live. Adjust fans, limiters, shift points, shift times, torque tables and your nearly done......nearly

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I had mine tuned in June just before Sydney lockdown and then lost my licence. I have not had a good chance to drive it properly.

Most noticable difference is throttle response and gear shifts that I can tell.

Definitely much much easier to spin rear wheels even with not much throttle...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I need mine retuned. Mine has been tuned to come alive from 3k on and go spastic from 3.5k to 4.5k but not easy enough to drive at 1500 when in Town where I spend a lot of my time.

H

harrop.senator

I need mine retuned. Mine has been tuned to come alive from 3k on and go spastic from 3.5k to 4.5k but not easy enough to drive at 1500 when in Town where I spend a lot of my time.

It's hard to change a cars power band via a tune. I'd say it's the gears and a hefty cam. Hopefully they can get the low rpm flaws out of it though.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It's hard to change a cars power band via a tune. I'd say it's the gears and a hefty cam. Hopefully they can get the low rpm flaws out of it though.

A couple of well known JC members reckon a tune will help. Tech who did the valve spring says it can be improved too. I need to be able to plod along and not cam hop in first gear. It's absolutely painful in traffic and driving to the end of my street each morning, when you're having to fan the clutch.
Like I said before it's goes like a bastard when you nail it and it hits 3k but that's not much use on the street.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
A proper tune will help if it was just dyno tuned for power & left other areas lacking....diff gears will make just as much a difference again

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Gears are expensive but I agree it's on the cards but minimum three months wait for a diff service, so could be longer for a regear and overhaul.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Good thing about gears it will help to keep me in the spot where it doesn't chugg when in 6th.