Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are these real deal Brembos ?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
So Holden was offering 3 different brake options on the same series car? Then what about HSV, was that the same Brembo pack or a 4th option?
Who sits behind the desk and dreams up this stuff? No wonder they went under!

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
So Holden was offering 3 different brake options on the same series car? Then what about HSV, was that the same Brembo pack or a 4th option?

When you look at it that way, yeah. But so does all manufactures that have a base to sport in the same model series. I.e merc C class, bmw 3 series, audi, subaru etc.

HSV are separate to Holden and do their own thing engineering wise. From memory HSV use AP Racing calipers but at one stage did release a base HSV with Brembo calipers if i recall correctly.

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS

I think Police upgrade option was only an attempt to probably clear excess parts as they might have overestimated number of export Caprice to the States...

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
I think Police upgrade option was only an attempt to probably clear excess parts as they might have overestimated number of export Caprice to the States...

No, it was a brake option from day dot for VF2. VF2 pre production started 2014.. just to give an indication of time frame for mid life model development/release.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Parts are usually ordered to build predictions. They don't just say I'll have 100,000 Brembo brakes then think **** we need to build that many vehicles with that option.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Well I guess one of the attractions of Holden was the ability to choose exactly what you wanted with different options and what not. But seriously why couldn't they figure out it's cheaper to have less options and just offer the standard ones and either the brembos or the AP's... high and low nice and simple. Wasn't to be I guess. Goodbye Holden lol, you went out doing what you did best.
Lol they got rid of Berlinas and stuff to cut down on variations then offered 3 different types of brakes on the VF, bahaha.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Just realised i will need different spare as stock SS 18" does not clear brembos. Bugger

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Well I guess one of the attractions of Holden was the ability to choose exactly what you wanted with different options and what not. But seriously why couldn't they figure out it's cheaper to have less options and just offer the standard ones and either the brembos or the AP's... high and low nice and simple. Wasn't to be I guess. Goodbye Holden lol, you went out doing what you did best.
Lol they got rid of Berlinas and stuff to cut down on variations then offered 3 different types of brakes on the VF, bahaha.
They had to have the sub-Redline “cop brakes” in order to sell cars in the US; so they were already getting those parts from the supplier. And it’s often cheaper to order a larger number of parts; maybe they saved per-car by getting more of them? But I digress; they already had to have ‘em anyway.
So they had the base brakes (which they obviously had to have) & the Brembos (which they weren’t going to fit to all Commodores), and an option of the “cop brakes” (parts they had to be supplied with anyway) as a teaser for VF2.

The AP brakes are totally different, supplied to HSV not Holden, and entirely R&D’d and fitted by HSV.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Agree, but in that case they could of used the cop brakes as the standard and offered the Brembos as the upgrade. What would the true cost of that be? $25 a car?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Probably less.

I ... dunno, a lot of these marketing decisions make no sense to me. Seems they wanted an option they could use for marketing; the optional cop brakes were one of the things they were loudest about pre-VF2-release.