Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are ultratune anygood?

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
what are they going to do with a tune? i didn't think many mechanics tuned efi cars.

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
Had a call today from a customer and I quote "my VR commodore needs a tuneup she's not running real well." When are people going to learn that todays cars donot need tuneups like the old cars . :bang: There are no carby screws to turn or things to fiddle with!!. If a fuel injected car is running rough or incorrectly something is WRONG with it. It frustrates me as a mechanic when I hear people talking about putting a new set of leads on or changing the plugs or changing a fuel filter to fix a problem. If its not runing right then just putting these things in and hoping for the best is just a waste of the owners time and money and a frustration to me. It is much easier to diagnose a car if things are not changed and the car is running poorly without someone fiddling with it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway after talking to this guy he had changed the plug leads and plugs that didnt necessarily need changing. Had not got the car serviced in what must be 40,000klm and wonders why it runs like crap and thinks a tune up is going to help. I know what your going to say in that after 40,000klm the plugs should be changed! Ah but yes in aiding diagnostics, old plugs to the trained eye are very good for pinpointing possible areas of problems and since I couldnt see the old ones as these had been changed it made diagnostics even harder and costlier for the customer. After checking the emissions and doing some basic diagnostics it was found that the injectors were clogged and needed removal and cleaning. Why dont people just ring up on the phone and say my car is running poorly, these are the symptoms and could you diagnose it for me please and tell me whats wrong! By the way it has about 225,000klm on the clock. I'll get off my soapbox now and yes I had a crap day thanks for asking!!! :drink:

vsdore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS exec (RIP) & VYII 9C1
Ultraduds? - avoid. My girlfriend got her car back asked me to drive it as it was going so well and sounded great. They had forgot to reconnect the airbox so it was sucking unfiltered air straight into the throttle body. The amount they charge, you'd think they'd test drive or at least have a good look under the bonnet before they finish up?

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
ScottB_33 said:
<snipped>

So that guy didn't know what he was really doing. Do you treat all enquires like "just bring it in and we will look at it..." ?

I got pissed off with a local Midas a while back. I told the guy I needed a brake bleed and an accelerator cable replaced. He said just bring it in and we'll look at it he said. I felt like saying "you dumb turkey, I know what is wrong with it, what is THIS going to cost?". The problem is too many service joints think that all consumers are dumb turkeys that don't know anything about cars when all they want to know is this is what is wrong, how much is it going to cost. Without the bullcrap on the other end of the phone.

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
zoist said:
So that guy didn't know what he was really doing. Do you treat all enquires like "just bring it in and we will look at it..." ?

I got pissed off with a local Midas a while back. I told the guy I needed a brake bleed and an accelerator cable replaced. He said just bring it in and we'll look at it he said. I felt like saying "you dumb turkey, I know what is wrong with it, what is THIS going to cost?". The problem is too many service joints think that all consumers are dumb turkeys that don't know anything about cars when all they want to know is this is what is wrong, how much is it going to cost. Without the bullcrap on the other end of the phone.

a friend in melbourne is having the same problem. he rang the holden dealer to get a price for a powersteering pump after several people told him it needed replacing. the holden guy got all narky and wanted to know how he knew it needed replacing and that they need to look at it.

all he wanted was a price for a new one!!!

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
I reckon they do it because when you bring your car in, they look over it and find other things needing replaced and they suck you in. It happened to me when I got that brake bleed and acc cable replaced. What should have been about 100 bucks ended up costing $450 because they sucked me in and said I needed new rotors, hoses and rear brake cylinders. Never again. :ranting:

VSSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5.0 Ute
If I was a mechanic i'd get the sh!ts with the general public for all the above reasons. Yes there's some shonks out there. You find them in every job. But often mechanics seem to get a raw deal, eg "I got my engine oil changed and then the auto sh!t itself. The apprentice must have flogged it etc" (Mechanics didn't look at the auto because the customer wouldn't pay for any extra work).
or
"I only needed a fluid and filter change but got stung for $300.00." (They got the car on the hoist and realised it was the last time the car was properly looked at was when Jesus played fullback for jerusalem).

Damned if you do...damned if you don't.

I know of one dodgy bit on Uncle Rays ACA where they did one of those "exclusive investigations" revealing varying prices amongst workshops. They hit up one grease monkey regarding his 'extras' and just edited his reply! He nominated extra minor problems to highlight to the owner who could nominate if they chose to have the work done. No more. But that would get in the way of a good story.

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
a Shounak says, they are as good as their owner. the one at marion shopping center used to be great a couple years ago, i used ot know everyone there and they were top mechanics, didnt rip you off and didnt overcharge and gave good advice and service. but who knows now, every mechanic i knew there has left except for the boss.

@zoist, some people think they know it all but know nothing. i used to get that alot, people coming in and wanting this and that speciafically fixed, but half the time ther was something underlying that caused what they want fixed to happen which had to be fixed. couple of classics. dude wanted a head gasket replaced in his 82 laser, nothing else, just the head gasket, he had it done not 18 months ago but it had blown again. took the head off and replaced the gasket. he didnt want anythng else done. radiatore was like 70% blocked, head was bent, the car had been overheated. after numerous arguments with the boss over it the customer insisted on only getting the headgasket replaced, he ended up towing it away as the boss refused to do it because it would not work and only blow again in a matter of weeks.

another one, an XF falcon with an oil leak from the back of the engine came in, customer said i want the rear main done as the oil leak has been annoying him for months and has recently got alot worse, WHILE HE WAITED, as its leaking oil. we did it, WHILE HE WAITED, the car came back next day with leaking oil problem again. the boss got an ear full because the oil leak was not fixed. problem was the oil sender unit leaking as well as the rear main as well as the rocker cover as well as the head gasket it turned out once the customer gave up his self diagnosis and we had a proper look.

so customers most of hte time know jack **** and cant diagnose correctly. hence why they say on the phone bring it in and we will check it out.

RedGoesFaster97VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Executive S II
Holy Crap

My car is going in for a service tommorow at Ultratune in Kalgoorlie W.A, but they have a really good rep here so guess we will see, i'll F**KING die if they break my car, i also told the dude one the phone if he replaces **** i didnt as for i aint paying as i only asked for a basic service/safety check. Being a chick i dont want em to scam so my big scary looking cousin is taking it in for me wahoooo oh crap i hope they dont read this....:my:

RedGoesFaster97VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Executive S II
Well all i can say is ultra tune Kal ROCK!!! absolute legends !!!!!:w00t: except the fact i got a quote written up to fix all the crap wrong with my car and the quoted me $25 to replace my wiper blades LMFAO :p