Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are v6 Hydaulic lifters adjustable

Promotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Commodore International Dual Fuel LPG / UL
Hi Guys is the valve train / hydraulic lifters on the ecotec V6 adjustable.
2002 s2 VX V6 Auto
I have what sounds like a noisy lifter , more pronounced at startup quietens down a bit once warm, if this is indeed a lifter is it of immediate concern, are there any quick fixes that give good result like, lifter free additive, adjustment etc.
Taking the proper course of action eg: replacing the offending lifter or infact all lifters what sort of cost would I be looking at including labour costs & consumables.

Kind Regards Chris

Promotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
I see a set of lifters on ebay for 129 buy it now price from a engine reconditioner, alot better than holdens pricing.

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
I used to have noisy lifters on my old Mazda 929. For a first car it wasn't TOO bad but I got sick of the noise and bought some additive that went in with my oil and stopped the noise. I'd recommend changing your oil and using a bit of that, or replacing the offending lifter.

Promotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi HARVZ-6
A month back had bad overheat, exchange heads to replaced the cracked one etc etc, $1600 bucks later, back on the road, there had been plenty of sludge in engine, top end was all cleaned up, new oil & filter of course, after initial run apparently engine flush then another new filter and new oil, to ensure no debri circulating through the engine.
I have done 1700 klms since then and yesterday done an oil change (15w 40) and new filter. There was a bit of what definately sounded like lifter noise prior to overheat at that stage services where not as often as they should have been.
After back on the road, still lifter noise, especially when starting cold until warm, doesnt totally go away when warm but quieter, at times totally goes away when warm.

Regards Chris

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
try using a 20-25weight oil first, hell of a lot cheaper than 120$ lifters

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Nulon lifter free and tune up actually works. Leave it in for 5000kms and see if you still have the problem. Also make sure you don't have Magnatec oil in the engine cos that will not help any engine IMO

Promotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
No magnitech in the motor I read it was not worth using, I put some nulon lifter free in yesterday so will see how it goes and post results, it does seem to off quieten motor down a bit but still a bit of noise from one lifter so will see how it goes over a few hundred klms

vtbob

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 vt 3.8
Whats up with magnatech?
Thats all I've been using!