Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are VF SV6/SS suede seats easy to keep clean?

M

mwb235

A question for SV6 and SS owners!

I have a VF Calais V but the leather seats are shagged, so I'm looking at replacing them.

I have found a set of really nice SV6 front and rear seats at a good price. For me, swapping over the bases & frames (i.e. so i still have all the calais electrics) is the easy part.

But i want to know before I buy if the suede is easy to keep clean. I'm familiar with the leather bolsters and how to clean & maintain them. But how do SV6 & SS owners find the suede inserts - i.e. does it wear well and is it all good or a b--ch to look after?

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
A question for SV6 and SS owners!

I have a VF Calais V but the leather seats are shagged, so I'm looking at replacing them.

I have found a set of really nice SV6 front and rear seats at a good price. For me, swapping over the bases & frames (i.e. so i still have all the calais electrics) is the easy part.

But i want to know before I buy if the suede is easy to keep clean. I'm familiar with the leather bolsters and how to clean & maintain them. But how do SV6 & SS owners find the suede inserts - i.e. does it wear well and is it all good or a b--ch to look after?
I've had my VF SV6 for about 4 months now and I haven't had a problem with them, though I don't eat in my car nor drink (only water). I've never had to clean them, they're never dirty. I do vacuum my car out once every 2-3 weeks, so I just run it over the suede. Never found them uncomfortable whatsoever.

I would like to know how you're keeping all the electrics though, might put the Calais electrics in mine! Also what's your tips with the leather bolsters to maintain them? I don't have any seat covers on my seats purely because I like the look and feel of the leather. Plus I don't think any seat cover would fit them properly/tightly. I don't want my leather fading/going hard thats all.

M

mwb235

Thanks for that info snortings.

Swapping the frames inside the foams and the bases is rather fiddly, but it's only because I've done it a few times that I have the confidence to do it. Like my other seats, I'll be fitting seat heater elements front and rear which need to be attached to the foam (meaning trims have to come off). And because I already have a Calais V all the wiring is there whereas you may need extra wiring in yours (I'm not sure).

For the leather i clean it with Mothers leather cleaner, then condition with Mothers leather conditioner. These are a bit expensive but do a good job. There are other good brands tho that people on these forums will recommend. I haven't used anything else so i can't say. I condition my leather about every two months, clean maybe twice a year. My current car already had over 100,000km on it when I bought it, and the previous owner must be been a fat fella (I'm no saint either!) so the drivers seat in particular was already squashed and worn.

I like the look of the SV6/SS seat trims, and they are all black/charcoal, none of that beige/cream/ivory/bone/white/off-white trim that is hard to keep looking nice.

M

mwb235

Only thing is if I fit SV6 seats into my Calais V, i'll lose the rear seat adjustable side headrests and centre headrest. SV6 has fixed side headrests only. But i must say I really couldn't give two figs! I prolly only have 5 people in my car maybe once a year if ever!

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
I've had my VF SV6 for about 4 months now and I haven't had a problem with them, though I don't eat in my car nor drink (only water). I've never had to clean them, they're never dirty. I do vacuum my car out once every 2-3 weeks, so I just run it over the suede. Never found them uncomfortable whatsoever.

I would like to know how you're keeping all the electrics though, might put the Calais electrics in mine! Also what's your tips with the leather bolsters to maintain them? I don't have any seat covers on my seats purely because I like the look and feel of the leather. Plus I don't think any seat cover would fit them properly/tightly. I don't want my leather fading/going hard thats all.
I believe the side bolsters etc were actually vinyl (certainly look and feel like it). In which case, leather cleaner would give no benefit and we really need a plasticiser instead to keep them supple but not slippery? Also how to get creases out of the base bolsters.
Would appreciate suggestions - I am guessing not Armor All?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I believe the side bolsters etc were actually vinyl (certainly look and feel like it). In which case, leather cleaner would give no benefit and we really need a plasticiser instead to keep them supple but not slippery? Also how to get creases out of the base bolsters.
Would appreciate suggestions - I am guessing not Armor All?

Creases add character and if it was leather it would probably indicate quality.

For vinyl use 303 Products Aerospace Protectant it makes Armor All look amateurish and is available from high end car care retailers and places like Supercheap Auto.

https://www.303products.com.au/

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
Creases add character and if it was leather it would probably indicate quality.

For vinyl use 303 Products Aerospace Protectant it makes Armor All look amateurish and is available from high end car care retailers and places like Supercheap Auto.

https://www.303products.com.au/
I've always heard from every shop such as Supercheap or Autobarn not to buy Armor All, apparently it's 'really bad'.

M

mwb235

I find Amorall is very good for hard unpainted plastic trims particularly on the outside of car, but i'd never use it on leather/vinyl trims. Only thing is it's not a once-only job - once treated you need to keep applying it regularly or the plastics will dry out. Another reason Amorall is no good for interior leather/vinyl trims is it makes them slippery, which can be a safety issue for things like steering wheels, gear shifters, and seat bases.