Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are VF's going to be collectables?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Its crazy, every other country to my knowledge is incentivising EV takeup through either road tax perks or grants.
Actually, no ... a lot of other countries have the same problem with a predicted drop in fuel sales revenue, and are looking around for ways to recoup that money from the increasing number of electric cars.

eg. UK: https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...-rishi-sunak-pay-per-mile-road-pricing-uk-tax

In NSW they should just piss off the fuel excise completely, and your rego would get a component proportional to the odo reading that's required on the yearly pink slip. There'd be the occasional scam/lie, but most of that would be taken care of when the car's sold 'cos the new owner isn't going to want to suddenly pay 3 year's worth of road-usage tax. They could even - deep breath - get rid of some of the random road-usage taxes & get the cops who're applying those taxes to do some more societally-advantageous police work.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Actually, no ... a lot of other countries have the same problem with a predicted drop in fuel sales revenue, and are looking around for ways to recoup that money from the increasing number of electric cars.

eg. UK: https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...-rishi-sunak-pay-per-mile-road-pricing-uk-tax

That story is about a quote from the AA chairman, not the govt.
UK govt has fully incentivised EVs through grants for both car and chargers, big reduction in company car tax, and zero road tax. Plus perks like free congestion charge and parking in London.
I should know, I had a Merc PHEV as my last UK car and the company car tax benefits were ridiculous.

I'm not saying you don't need to recoup lost fuel duty in some other form eventually, but doing it before practically anyone has bought an EV is odd.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
doing it before practically anyone has bought an EV is odd.

Imagine the uproar when there are a large number of EVs running around and boom, new tax.

Damned if they do.....damned if they don't.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Imagine the uproar when there are a large number of EVs running around and boom, new tax.

Same as any rego increase, buy car based on a certain rego amount, boom, rego cost goes up.

The quoted rate in the story works out at $375 for 15000km, so compared to either purchase price, or lease rate small beer really.

They need to consider, do they actually want high EV takeup or not. Currently the question they are answering is, "do we want more money or not"!
One of the tangible benefits of EVs is going away, leaving only that glowing feeling of enviro-smugness

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

Didn‘t stop them from whacking a tax on LPG to make it uncompetitive. Any EV adopters out there who think that the government isn’t going to eventually get there lost fuel revenue back from them is being wilfully ignorant or just plain stupid.

It’s simple to work out really, fleet average fuel economy is 13.1L/100km with fleet average kilometres of about 13.4 thousand kms and fuel excise of 38.11cpl.

This means they have to get $668 per year in revenue from EV owners on average to replace the fuel excise lost. It’s not if this happens but when. Sources are below for anyone interested.

https://www.bitre.gov.au/sites/default/files/is_091.pdf

https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/i...ey-motor-vehicle-use-australia/latest-release

https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parlia...amentary_Library/pubs/rp/rp0001/01RP06#Table2

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
UK govt has fully incentivised EVs through grants for both car and chargers, big reduction in company car tax, and zero road tax.
They've apparently got higher fuel excises than us ... I've seen reactions to the above ranging between "about time they paid their way" and "yeah great another tax".

I'm not saying you don't need to recoup lost fuel duty in some other form eventually, but doing it before practically anyone has bought an EV is odd.
I suspect it's trying to set a precedent, set expectation before anyone much is affected. The NSW stuff I found from Googling was/is going to be something like an extra $250-$300 per year, nobody spending a current minimum of ~$50k to buy a Yaris-sized car is going to care about that.

In the real world they currently make way more in stamp duties & GST etc by someone buying the way-more-expensive EV than an equivalent ICE, until you get up to big Tesla money of course.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Looking into the EV tax further it could possibly be a double edged sword as the EV tax is going to be state based (so the Liberal party won’t be able to hold Labor states to ransom on road funding) but the fuel excise is a federal tax so the federal government is probably going to be chasing its own recompense for lost revenue as well!

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Looking into the EV tax further it could possibly be a double edged sword as the EV tax is going to be state based (so the Liberal party won’t be able to hold Labor states to ransom on road funding) but the fuel excise is a federal tax so the federal government is probably going to be chasing its own recompense for lost revenue as well!

didn't even consider that, yeah feds are gonna be hurting on this one. very enterprising of the states to jump in and just take a chunk of change.