Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are VF's going to be collectables?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... fuel excise is a federal tax so the federal government is probably going to be chasing its own recompense for lost revenue as well!
The sad part was that many state based taxes were removed as part of the introduction of the more efficient GST...

Now states are clawing back these inefficient state based taxes but in essence bringing in an electricity excise for EV cars AND still flogging us with the GST whip. What will they bring back next FID/BADT?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
The sad part was that many state based taxes were removed as part of the introduction of the more efficient GST...

Now states are clawing back these inefficient state based taxes but in essence bringing in an electricity excise for EV cars AND still flogging us with the GST whip. What will they bring back next FID/BADT?

If states received 100% of their GST back, maybe they wouldn't need to resort to these measures.

Exhibit A - until 2018, WA was receiving low 30% of GST generated. Now getting around 85% with a floor of 70% (which BTW Dishonest Gladys claims is unfair, i.e. it should be less o_O while NSW receives ~92%)

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

Thing is most of the states didn’t get rid of their stamp duties like they were supposed to. They took the GST and reneged on the deal.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If states received 100% of their GST back, maybe they wouldn't need to resort to these measures.

Exhibit A - until 2018, WA was receiving low 30% of GST generated. Now getting around 85% with a floor of 70% (which BTW Dishonest Gladys claims is unfair, i.e. it should be less o_O while NSW receives ~92%)
Hahaha, that's like saying if junkies got 100% pure coke, they'd be more honest and less needy...

Our state and fed goves are just tax junkies after all, not dissimilar in behaviour to coke junkies. Both govs and coke addicts could rape your grandmothers to make a dollar (govs tax junkies figuratively, coke addicts iterally)...

As is, the GST sales pitch was that GST was supposed to be a much more efficient tax (= cheaper to fleece the peasent masses). The reality was that greed kicked in before the ink had dried and some/many inefficient state (and i think some fed) taxes remained. Now more are being created as we see in this EV electricity excise...

GST distributions asside, I'd say we were one of the dumbest countries on this earth as in my brief research back then, we were the only population I know of that voted for a political party that had such a consumption tax as part of their policy going into an election... AIUI, every other country brought in such consumprion taxes unannounced after being elected...

But don't worry about the GST distribution inequity, GST will be increased soon enough end up as our govs need $$ to help pay back those big loans used to supposedly get us all out of the COVID shitter...

Over time, I also expect more states to add an EV tax of sorts. And i wouldn't be surprised if the Feds also brought in a EV electricity recharge excise to replace the lost fuel excise. Don't be surprised if requirements are forced onto car makers so EV's will work with smart meters so those smart meters can measure exactly how much of the juice the car sucks from your wall outlet resulting in an electricity bill that will have a federal EV excise added to it, along with GST on top... Gotta look after the clean coal industry after all :p

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon

So which states get more than 100% to balance out the total? I've lost track.
And by the way, (not to be boring) do we think VFs are going to be collectibles?

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
And by the way, (not to be boring) do we think VFs are going to be collectibles?

I'm having mine converted to EV so it will be.

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
So which states get more than 100% to balance out the total? I've lost track.

These are outdated coz WA is higher now but gives you an idea of who the lifters and leaners are.

GST breakdown state by state 2018-19
StateGST share per dollarGST share %Total GST distribution $m
VIC98c25.6$16,830
WA47c4.9$3,255
NSW85c27.4$18,030
SA$1.4710.3$6,751
Tas$1.773.7$2,434
ACT$1.182.0$1,298
NT$4.264.2$2,755
Qld$1.0922.0$14,447