Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are VF's going to be collectables?

SOVEREIN1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS S2 Black Edition
G'day

So i am actively looking for a VF SS S2 and all i keep hearing from dealer to salesman is these are going to be collectibles and the price will only continue to rise.

Is this true or just another stupid tactic to try and sell them and keep them at such ridiculous prices?

Also just an opinion on ex cop cars... would you or wouldn't you?

Cheers

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Also just an opinion on ex cop cars... would you or wouldn't you?

Not VFs but FWIW.....

I have had two ex-cop cars over the years.

First was a VK.....purchased when it was 7 years old and owned it for 6 1/2 years.

The second was a VS.....purchased when 3 years old and owned it for just under 19 years.

Both were daily driven and had over 290,000 kms on them when sold on.

Neither of them had any problems that any other of their model didn't have and actually didn't have a number of problems that others experienced.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
In 10 years time how many blokes are going to give a **** about holden. The way the world is I wouldn't be investing in cars. If you don't drive it in 30 years maybe?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
In 10 years time how many blokes are going to give a **** about holden

That is already happening.......... there is a population generation change, not interested in cars, brands, and any emotional attachment. Just 4 wheels to get to where they want to be, provided they can be home for breakfast the next day.
Add to that, recent o'seas Govt's plans to ban the sale of ICE vehicles, saving the planet with electric runabouts, and lack of interest in physically exploring the wider country when they can see it all on Google.
Holden/Ford tribalism will fade, Chrysler and Leyland are memories ( if at all) and Greenies will put performance car owners in the same category as child molesters.
Horses and steam trains are not really mainstream types of travel today.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
My crystal ball needs a clean but like all cars, VF are collectables as they are collected by wreckers via attrition :p

Only when most have been disposed of, dismantled, crushed, crashed or simply rusted away could there be any resurgance of desirability accompanied by a large price increase.

After all it’s the lack of availability through attrition, accompanied by a desirability caused within the market by cashed up middle aged mid life crisis sufferers that drives collectable car prices :p

Problem could be such resurgence may never occur as the seismic shift towards electric driverless cars could mean our dead dinosaur powered vehicles may ultimately be banned from the roads entirely (killing off a large segment of the collectable market for many).

If you want to buy a depreciating asset like a car, because you’ve always wanted that model, then if you can afford it buy it... but don’t try to wrap it up as an investment strategy as historically most cars simply depreciate, be worth nothing and get crushed...

Heck, how many Torana GTRs lost value to the point their owners sold them for next to nothing or even gave then away to free up space? What % actually survived (of even the mid 70’s base model Toranas)?

Buy and drive, but drive forward and don’t stare into the rear view mirror thinking of what may have been... it will do your head in o_O

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
My VX SS was a last hooray for me IRT the old V8.

I paid way to much for it at the beginning of the year, $13k for a mint car with unbelievably low original km, 115k km, but I had the available funds to waste on a toy to play with.

I haven't owned a Holden V8 for 20 years prior to me purchasing the VX.

I have been playing with turbo 6 and 4 cylinder cars prior to getting the VX, and the VX was a compulse buy in the end.

I went looking for something new and sporty, but sentimentality got in the way of common sense, and I purchased a fat old 4 door with a V8 and slush box.

Funny thing, typical cars to mine on caresales are being advertised for over $20k now, some with twice the km's, meh.

But, I am enjoying the old girl and it is a comfortable old bus to cruise around in, plus, with some basic mods to the engine and driveline, it launches hard and does mad skids on demand.

My opinion on why prices have sky-rocketed:
Covid, every man and their dog is building project cars, all the performance workshops I know are full tilt doing builds and tunes, everything that has any performance background, or cult classic following are getting some love.

A few of my mates have said the best thing about the VF, is its engine and gearbox that they have used for swaps.

Good times

Disclaimer: this post represents the official views of the voices in my head

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I think they will hold their value more than previous generations purely because they are the last but as to SS's, there are simply too many of them. GTS's, Clubsport Tourers, Senators, Directors will all do pretty well. Personally, if you are looking for value, VE GTS S3 would be the pick of the litter imo. Manuals also will definitely hold their value better despite costing less.

20 years time the attrition rate will certainly drive up collectors value on SS.. HSV is always more collectible, no brainer there.

Overall production of the VF sits at around 150, 000 for all models which makes them straight up "rarer" than stuff like the VT series.

The other thing is condition and how mangled they are (aftermarket crap all over them and things like that drive up value as well).

Last edited: