Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are VF's going to be collectables?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Reactions: Lex

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I would argue that not everybody deals with peak hour, stop go traffic, I don't.

If you do deal with peak hour traffic on a daily basis, a typical cheap Hybrid, lets say the Corolla SX sport hybrid is about $2k more than a "normal" SX sport.

For a little economical 125kw 200nm 2.0l that could be a years worth of fuel.

Also, the 1.8l hybrid only has 72kw 142nm, which become blatantly apparent when the car sees a hwy.

I agree that a little hybrid is a handy car for peak hour traffic jams, but it will fall on its face in clear traffic.

Don't believe me, go hire one for a weekend, we got "upgraded" from the basic corolla to a hybrid corolla a while ago, I have hired the normal corolla before, it was a nippy little econo-car, it did the Brisbane to Amberley run brilliantly, the hybrid was a slug.

Albeit my view is based on hiring the cars from Brisbane airport and driving them to Amberley.

Now, if only a full electric car was at a reasonable price and charging was logistically easy, now that "is" a perfect stop start vehicle.

I won't go into how un-enviromentaly friendly full electric cars currently are.

The car manufacturers were aiming at peak hour traffic to sell their cars.....Do you actually know what peak hour traffic is and why it is called that? I know what Brisbane peak hour traffic is like strangely enough...It took me 3 hours to drive from Redcliffe to Cleveland, leaving at 4 P.M on a week day from Redcliffe, last time I was in Brisbane...That was 3 years ago....Made my mother extremely upset, tea was cold when I got there....

Hybrid and electric cars were aimed at the commuter and peak hour trafffic, with the intensions of them saving a few bucks and banging the enviromentally friendly drum.....They weren't aimed at the weekend away trip, nor the yearly holiday5,000k away trip...They were purely aimed at the daily commute to and from work and to and from the shops....And to date, they have failed to take off in popularity and I doubt they will anytime soon

I don't need to hire a hybrid car to know what they drive like....I've probably driven more of them than you have seen being a tyre fitter/wheel aligner....

Last edited:

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
The car manufacturers were aiming at peak hour traffic to sell their cars.....Do you actually know what peak hour traffic is and why it is called that? I know what Brisbane peak hour traffic is like strangely enough...It took me 3 hours to drive from Redcliffe to Cleveland, leaving at 4 P.M on a week day from Redcliffe, last time I was in Brisbane...That was 3 years ago....Made my mother extremely upset, tea was cold when I got there....

Hybrid and electric cars were aimed at the commuter and peak hour trafffic, with the intensions of them saving a few bucks and banging the enviromentally friendly drum.....They weren't aimed at the weekend away trip, nor the yearly holiday5,000k away trip...They were purely aimed at the daily commute to and from work and to and from the shops....And to date, they have failed to take off in popularity and I doubt they will anytime soon

I don't need to hire a hybrid car to know what they drive like....I've probably driven more of them than you have seen being a tyre fitter/wheel aligner....

No I don't know what peak hour traffic is, I currently live in western Sydney

I wasn't referring to a weekend trip or a 5k km jaunt, I was referring to sitting on a dollar or dollar 10 on your typical toll road or motorway

So part of your job as a tyre fitter is driving clients cars on toll roads and motorways, nice, what is your view on how they go at overtaking or when carrying a passenger or two?

My job involves me hiring cars when I travel for work, obviously your exposure to driving the latest model cars into and out of the workshop trumps my exposure of driving them on roads

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

1605998788475.png

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
No I don't know what peak hour traffic is, I currently live in western Sydney

I wasn't referring to a weekend trip or a 5k km jaunt, I was referring to sitting on a dollar or dollar 10 on your typical toll road or motorway

So part of your job as a tyre fitter is driving clients cars on toll roads and motorways, nice, what is your view on how they go at overtaking or when carrying a passenger or two?

My job involves me hiring cars when I travel for work, obviously your exposure to driving the latest model cars into and out of the workshop trumps my exposure of driving them on roads

You obviously don't understand the reasoning behind them being bought out and don't seem to understand they haven't been successful in the reasoning behind them being bought out.

What you are putting up seems to be arguing along the same lines as why they aren't successful...So take a pause and look...

Don't need to drive a car at a dollar or dollar 10 to pick the difference in the torque between these and the petrol models of them....A drive up a ramp you do tend to pick the difference

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
You obviously don't understand the reasoning behind them being bought out and don't seem to understand they haven't been successful in the reasoning behind them being bought out.

What you are putting up seems to be arguing along the same lines as why they aren't successful...So take a pause and look...

EVs are quite popular in countries where governments support them with tax rebates, congestion charge waivers, etc. Here in Australia they don’t have any government enforced advantages so they have to rely purely on economic advantages. Eventually the economies of scale will make EVs competitive but I think it’s still going to be 10-20 years off yet.

I don’t know why they are targeting the top end of the market because only the EV evangelicals can justify spending twice as much than a comparable ICE vehicle. They should be targeting the “second family car” market that only use the second car for the daily trip to work or to the grocery store.

I agree with John Cadogan on this. Make a smaller EV that’s cheaper and targets a bigger market.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
I don’t know why they are targeting the top end of the market because only the EV evangelicals can justify spending twice as much than a comparable ICE vehicle. They should be targeting the “second family car” market that only use the second car for the daily trip to work or to the grocery store.
Because most car makers primary customers are fleet companies. Fleet companies want to make money and will go for the models that meet the scale of economy. Unfortuanly as you said, ev’s are not there yet and they get pushed to a market segment that know they will have to cough up for what they want.

Money talks, business that uses cars want to spend the least amount of money and LeasePlan’s accountant couldn’t care about the fact my work car only has 3 doors and lacks cruise control.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
EVs are quite popular in countries where governments support them with tax rebates, congestion charge waivers, etc. Here in Australia they don’t have any government enforced advantages so they have to rely purely on economic advantages. Eventually the economies of scale will make EVs competitive but I think it’s still going to be 10-20 years off yet.

I agree with John Cadogan on this. Make a smaller EV that’s cheaper and targets a bigger market.

They started off at the small car market with the prius...There are other brands that have smaller cars that are electric/hybrids that are coming into the market place...Yes they have moved to larger cars too, but as I have mentioned over and over, they haven't taken off as well as the manufacturers , gov'ts and other motoring bodies would have wished....

I have no idea why they are targeting other markets when the initial market hasn't taken off....I think they originally targeted the families in using these as a primary car for the regular too and froing, but again, it hasn't worked as well as expected....Why ? I don't know....

Will they eventually become popular in this country ? Possibly....When...Who knows....But one thing we could probably guarantee....The longer it takes the longer it will take for prices to jump up massively for our petrol powerered beasts and the more we can enjoy them:)