Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are VF's going to be collectables?

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Well done! Do you have 3 phase power available at home?
Loosing your humour?

Home charging at night on a 240v @ 32A circuit allows 7.6kw per hour with some overhead for other nightly electrical needs... Thus if your EV has a 50kwhr (350km) or 75kwhr (500km) battery, it will fully charge from empty in 6.5 hour or 10 hours for the bigger battery (if the car‘s electronics allow such a rate, which all do)... 500kms will do most people for a week of driving ;)

If charging over your lunch break, for an hour, you’ll add ~7.6kwhr of energy to your battery which will equate to around 50kms so that should get most people home in a pinch.

For most use cases, an EV works well and will only be a problem for those who are poor planners :p For those edge use cases where EV’s just done cut it, we will still have ICE...:cool:

Residential properties connected to single phase can have a maximum current draw of 40A (9.6kw) while 3 phase maximum current draw is 63A (25.2kw). Many residential properties can indeed get 3 phase power connected for heavier loads (like whole house refrigerated aircon) but I've no need for such ;)

As to collectables, mine isn’t one, it’s a garage queen that comes out on sunny days. Wasn’t bought for an investment and I couldn’t give too hoots what others say it’s worth :eek:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Hybrids arent in the same market space as EVs. A hybrid is just a range extended ICE vehicle after all. I think they started off with the Prius in the small car segment purely because of the battery and technology limitations at the time.

A lot of those constraints for pure EVs have been solved now and just needs economies of scale to get the cost down. Economies of scale can come with the “second car” market that I’ve mentioned above.

I still have doubts they will take off....

It started with hydrogen powered cars, used cooking oil or vegetable powered diesels....LPG powered cars, then Hybrids, now EV's all going to be the next great alternative to straight petrol powered cars....

For what ever reason, all these have fallen off in some way or another and I suspect the same will apply with the hybrids and ev's....

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
Until the time comes where I can get a performance EV (model 3 performance or similar) on the 2nd hand market for ~$40k in decent condition, I’ll stick with “cheap” performance ICEs whether it’s a V8 or turbo 6/4...

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I still have doubts they will take off....

It started with hydrogen powered cars, used cooking oil or vegetable powered diesels....LPG powered cars, then Hybrids, now EV's all going to be the next great alternative to straight petrol powered cars....

For what ever reason, all these have fallen off in some way or another and I suspect the same will apply with the hybrids and ev's....

Well Elon Musk is doing his best to try and make EVs a success. Every other car manufacturers fingers smell like sh!t!

No one else is taking it seriously because they aren’t hungry for it as they already have ICE business that they don’t want to canibalise.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Was talking to one of my neighbours and he brought up this subject, about the value of VF’s at the moment.

It just so happens I started looking at Cross 8’s for sale again. Here’s 3 in Australia on Gumtree, Carsales, Autotrader. Now I was looking multiple times a day, everyday.
A1E79229-D507-497D-B344-58E49A7FBCA7.jpeg

0B986512-5AC4-4BCF-9990-326237B5187F.jpeg

2A999359-F104-40EE-A020-882C231D5027.jpeg

Two of these are still for sale since July. The price has gone up, not down.

Now when I started looking back in 2019, $8k-$12k was the going price and there were enough.
Mid 2020 $10k-15k for 100000km-200000km.

Now a VY2 for $20k and high k’s! I found some other low spec (less airbags, no climate, no leather seats etc) VY2 Cross 8’s for more than $20k and they were rough inside.

No VZ’s (Cross 8’s), almost at all, come up anymore.

This is all getting out of hand.

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
It just so happens I started looking at Cross 8’s for sale again. Here’s 3 in Australia on Gumtree, Carsales, Autotrader. Now I was looking multiple times a day, everyday.

I also look every couple of days at these, to compare any Cross6s with mine, just for interest. I have it insured for $8,200.
That last Cross8 with the hard lid up, has been on Carsales for years, with what I considered initially was a high price, and now the price is even higher and looks reasonable. Why it has been there for so long is a ?????. Potential buyers not happy with dual fuel, or something else ?.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

Prices are going up quick by the looks. I bought my SSV right before the covid shite hit the fan for $15k off Carsales from a dealer with 165k on the clock and the general market price here in QLD was around 20k and there were about half a dozen for sale in QLD.

Now there is only one manual SSV for sale in QLD and they want 24k for it (With the pontiac from end ughh). It does have lower kays at 112k but still.

Could also be quiet because Xmas is coming up too.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Was talking to one of my neighbours and he brought up this subject, about the value of VF’s at the moment.

View attachment 216546
View attachment 216547
View attachment 216548
Two of these are still for sale since July. The price has gone up, not down.

Now when I started looking back in 2019, $8k-$12k was the going price and there were enough.
Mid 2020 $10k-15k for 100000km-200000km.

Now a VY2 for $20k and high k’s! I found some other low spec (less airbags, no climate, no leather seats etc) VY2 Cross 8’s for more than $20k and they were rough inside.

No VZ’s (Cross 8’s), almost at all, come up anymore.

And how much was the original owner offered as a trade-in? There is a bit of opportunistic profiteering going on, not solely because of the pandemic, but milking the pandemic for all it's worth, plus some.

In can speak from experience that they would have been offered baked beans ... around $1,400 for a VZ, less for a VY and/or VX. Yet they are then sold by the dealer for $18,000 (!) (the VZ I traded went for $17,890 last November).