Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are VS axles longer than VN?

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
I thought the housing and the axles were the same length.

FusionX

Reaction score
Wagons/Utes everything was the same length. (have been through a few diffs from utes and wagons and measured them)

In sedans, apparently there was a change from VP to VR... Hopefully someone has the correct information on this.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The Rear track is different between the VP/Q IRS cars and VR/S but it's the hubs that are wider. Live axel cars are all the same

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
Hmm, doesn't explain why my "vn" diff is shorter overall than my vs diff. The housing is about 5cm shorter, but im just wondering if the axles are also shorter.

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Hmm, doesn't explain why my "vn" diff is shorter overall than my vs diff. The housing is about 5cm shorter, but im just wondering if the axles are also shorter.

If the diff housing on the diff currently in your vn is shorter than the vs diff housing you're comparing it too than the axles will be a different length and wont be interchangable. It sounds like its not actually a standard vn diff and is likely a vl diff (which is the same as the vn group A diff). Some people fit these to late model commodores because with the narrower diff it allows you to fit wheels with a really deep dish/big offset. Standard sedan live axle diffs are the same from vn-vs.

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
Ah i see. So either way i can't use my VS axles to bring the wheels out further. I hope it's a vlt diff, if it's 25 spline im going to be very pissed off.

Thanks.