Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are you Horny-(Horn not working)

pando666

milk comes in 2 litres
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs exec
well horn stopped working,
relay checked-ok,
horns checked-ok,
earthed black/yellow striped wire behind steering wheel horn sounded,
so all that is left is the horn buttons or the springy thing that connects the wheel to the horn wire.
I think its the springy thing, BUT the AIRBAG wires go into it as well does the horn and airbag have there own spring or is it a common one.
Is the springy unit hard to replace?.
Is this a common failure or should I look at the buttons(I find it hard to believe that both would fail).

ozyprd

want to know more
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs senator
is there a fuse for the horn under the dash? i think there is and that might be it

pando666

milk comes in 2 litres
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs exec
No fuse under dash its in engine bay and its fine. I think the problem is the clock spring unit behind steering wheel. Has anyone had one of these fail, and if so how hard is it to change?.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Kasia.. Anya.... Iveta ehat. what oh :) No I haven't had the springy thing or the horn break yet thank God

pando666

milk comes in 2 litres
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs exec
book calls it a clock spring, the airbag has one to, inside the same unit.

love the general

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute daily hj gts project
yeah probably the spring thing mine needs replacing as well cos i fixed my horn but it only works wen the wheels is turned to the side lol. its about a ten dollar part and half hours work i've been told

paulsautoelec

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute
if you are handy with a soldering iron remove steering wheel you will see the brass end of the clock spring build up some solder on the end . your horn will work for a while longer. i have had to do this many times for registration when no parts avail through local holden dealer in darwin

Last edited:

pando666

milk comes in 2 litres
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs exec
Ok, brass pin is only relevent on NON airbag cars. Cars with airbag use a clock spring unit which supplies power to horn and airbag. Mine has failed, I removed it and opened it up today and found the ribbon cable inside had looped back on itself and pulled out of the conector. This is obviously not a $10 part, from Holden looks like it would be $100+ from Ebay range from $45 to $60. Shyt of a job too had to remove shroud and had to go and but a torx bit with a hole in it, another $11-T30H torx bit- to remove airbag. HORN HAS TO WORK FOR REGO.

Sgt Santa Cruz

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Statesman
i also had this problem in my stato turns out when i ripped out my steering controls i f***ed the horn pad lol