Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the Car Salesman...

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Of course you need to get the best deal but always be aware that the dealer is going to get the better deal. What you need to do is make sure you get best that you can for yourself. First off, check to make sure what incentives and rebates are going on the vans at the moment.

These are not dealer discount. They are manufacturer discount.

$18,500 sounds like a good deal considering it started at 21990. I doubt you will get it any lower then that.

Go in to the dealership and settle down for some hard work. Talk to the same salesperson again and let him know that he has a deal on a van exactly the way you want it at $18,000. He is going to laugh at you. But then your going to tell him that you are ready to do something TODAY. $10 says he is going to go running straight to his manager.

The salesperson is then going to sit you in his office and "write" you up. Meaning, fill out a purchase order. This is where the negotiations begin. He will probably come back with $18,500 on the write up sheet and can't do any better. Do your best to get him lower then 18.5K but don't be surprised if it doesn't happen. Make sure you get this all on paper.

THEN

Politely take the write up sheet. Tell them you need to think about it and also have to show the write up sheet to your accountant so he knows whats happening that you will be back later today. Under NO circumstances are you to give that write up sheet back to them. Don't even let them make a photocopy of it. Take it, thank them for their time and leave.

Now go back to the dealer that has the van you want and show them the write up sheet and say beat this deal or I walk. It will take them a little bit to figure out what to do. They will then come back and say that such and such a dealer is only giving you a good price because they don't have the inventory and that when they get the van in the price will go back up.

You are now going to tell them that they did an inventory search and can get you the van in a couple of days. But you would rather deal through here because they are closer to home, have a better seervice department and in general are nicer guys but that as a customer it's your duty to get the best price you can. He will then write you up at an agreed price and you and your wife can drive out of their on the agreed price in your new little rubber band car :)

Keep me updated
and any questions just ask.

Happy hunting.

On another note....tell me the dealership and which particular vehicle in their inventory and I will play the email game with then. You can then have a copy I've my email with the best price they offer me :)

Ray.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Pretender, $21990 is that with or without GST and on road costs?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
also, Auto or Manual?

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Thanks for the tips, that will be most helpful. I had planned to start at $18000 and see how I go. I would be very happy with $18500. I thought of trading my car but at the discounted price they would only give me $300 for it. I used to deal with Dealers all the time but haven't bought a car or helped someone else buy a car from a Dealer for about four years.

Mandurah - MANDURAH SUZUKI, no email address.

Manual only.

All prices are GST and on road costs inclusive and at present include free aircon.

I will try and track down an email address.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Hmm...they must've added in floor mats and some other form of accessory as I cannot get the price to reach 21990.

Base price is 17990 plus GST and ORC comes to about 21450. So, either something has been added or they have raised the price of the vehicle which I thought was illegal in Australia so they must've added things like front floormats.

Also, be to sure to check out if it's an 06 or an 07. If it's an 06 then expect a mega discount.

Remember set a price and stick to it.

If all else fails. Take, the write upsheet from him and scribble down

"Will take today if agreed price is$18500" Sign it and then hand the salesman some money (several hundred dollars) and tell him to take it to his manager.

Remember, it's easy for his manager to push a deal away but if you give him 200 to 300 cash down payment without signing anything, he will know that your serious..plus I can bet your last dollar that he will not want to give that money back. So he should take the deal.

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers.
I will let you know how it goes.
I'm going down to see the Dealer on Tuesday.
What I have gathered from others (including another Dealer) is that the Dealership is under new ownership and has been making very good discounted deals for customers lately.
I'll start at $18000 and see how I go. Might be rude of me to ask for a cargo barrier don't you think? I will ask anyway as they can only say no.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Rude? **** no! I can sell someone a car for $200 over invoice and they get pissy with me when I refuse to throw in a bullbar! Go for it!

Hint: Let them know you will also be purchasing a small fleet of these.....

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Good idea and due to new contacts I will be extolling the virtues of the van to others in the same business.
In about 12 months it is very likely that we would need a second van so they can make me come back by ensuring a good deal.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Exactly, every good salesman knows that behind every sales is another five if they play their cards right.

Mind you, if you do get a good deal, be sure to pass on this salespersons name to friends. He would appreciate and so would your friends at the chance of getting a good deal when the time is for them to buy a new car.

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
I most certainly would pass on the salesperson's name to others. I will always do that.
I have in the past received some great deals because of referring others to a dealer like $4000 off a $9000 car in one instance.

Got to try to sleep now, I go to work in 3 hours.

Thanks for your advice.