Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the Car Salesman...

KingDiamond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Have you ever heard of any dodgy dealerships regrooving passenger tires to make them look like they're newer?

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
hey guys, just thought i would poke my head in.
12volt is right, cash is king. i have worked in retail for 3 years and can say that no one can refuse it when its placed in their face unless they are VERY good at seeing the larger picture.
use $20 notes, get them from the bank and make sure they are fresh and in bundles of 10. take about 10 bundles. this will get the blokes attention. if you use $50's it will seem like no as much money and if $10's are used they just dont hold the dollar value of $20.
trust me this with 12volt's comments will work a treat.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
yeah the ammount of times ive walked away from used sales people with a big smile on my face, after test driving a car, burning the **** out of the tyres then returning it and saying nah dont think its for me... bahahah and they call you the dodgy ones :p

Don't lie......

lieos

what ford i didnt see it
Reaction score
prentender if u want a cargo barrier i would definitely recommend genuine because i installed an aftermarket one in a peugeot 307 touring the other day and its a nightmare you have to drill into the headling completely ruining it if you want to take it out. but if things like that dont bother you then aftermarket could be a bit cheaper

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Aftermarket is definetly cheaper but not ALWAYS better quality.

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Still waiting for finance approval before seeing the Dealer.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
do car salesmen know much about what they're selling?

i've met a few who just don't have a clue.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
A certain Mitsubishi Dealer here in Perth used the button trick at least up to three years ago. I helped his Nephew install the system in 1985 and helped remove it in 2003. Now the Sales manager just checks what is going on through the intranet.
The salesman, whilst working out the figures for you, puts the details up that the Manager can view in another room.

Somehow I think tactics like that are from the dark ages. If anybody tried to push me into a corner like that, I'd call their bluff which would be more the norm. After all, its not like that is the *last* car I could possibly buy.

In my experience, most salesmen are fine to deal with. I have no problems pushing for the best possible deal that I can get - just make sure it's in an honest and ethical way. In most cases the key is proper research - knowing where the market is at and having a realistic expectation as to what deals are possible.

Reaper

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Cheers.
I will let you know how it goes.
I'm going down to see the Dealer on Tuesday.
What I have gathered from others (including another Dealer) is that the Dealership is under new ownership and has been making very good discounted deals for customers lately.
I'll start at $18000 and see how I go. Might be rude of me to ask for a cargo barrier don't you think? I will ask anyway as they can only say no.

That is the clincher I keep up my sleeve in most cases. Once I have extracted the best price (they won't budge a cent more) I will go with the - oh ok - throw in tinted windows and a towbar and you have yourself a deal. In most cases they are high margin items and they are happy to get the sale.

Reaper