Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the Car Salesman...

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
So, I've had a change of heart and a change of career. One thing I've always been good at is sales. So, why not go into one of the b iggest sales market around. A market where the salary I earn is purely dependant on how much hard work I'm willing to put it. Car Sales.

Feel free to get an open and honest answer about the way car sales work.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
do people who try to haggle down that last dollar ride you?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
The people who haggle on the price of the car generally end up being the unhappy customer. But ultimately, no one rides me. I don't let it happen. I may let you think that you are riding me but in the end, I still have control of the situation.

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
I'm assuming you are new to this career.
Has the Dealer given you the rundown on the tricks of the trade that he or she expects you to use?
Do you have a button under your desk to signal another salesman to walk in to advise you a cash buyer is on the phone and is interested in buyinjg the very car your client's are looking at?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Actually...to be honest...I was in car sales sometime ago....

No, there is no button. There are certains tricks but to be honest, there really is no lying involved anymore. The end result if you get caught out is disastrous.

The interesting thing is that everyone thinks that the salesman is the enemy...he isn't watch out for his salesmanager. He calls the shots. He even tells you how much you are going to sell it for. Even if it's lower then what you already quoted in which case it then becomes money out o fthe salesmans pocket.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
which sounds like my old job at harvies, money in your pocket didnt mean a thing, shifting units did.

i am so glad to be out of retail, two years and the only thing i got out of it was a nice addition about customer service to my resume.

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
A certain Mitsubishi Dealer here in Perth used the button trick at least up to three years ago. I helped his Nephew install the system in 1985 and helped remove it in 2003. Now the Sales manager just checks what is going on through the intranet.
The salesman, whilst working out the figures for you, puts the details up that the Manager can view in another room.

I have never had a problem with Car Salesman. If the price I wish to pay is not met I leave.

Last edited:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Money in my pocket means everything to me. If I don't shift units then my pay packet is only $1800 for the month. Now whilst thats good for some...it's not for others when you have champagne tastes.

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
Ah yes, Mr. Car salesman, do all vehicles sold by you come with an extensive range of aftermarket electronics and 150dB certification slips?

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi 12Voltking

What is the best way to approach obtaining a lower price?

Yes it's the small van purchase, we are going Suzuki.
I have told the dealer that I can get the Citroen for $17700 on the road.
The Dealer, without much of fight, came back at $19971 (down from $21990) and then with a bit of a conversation suggested below $19000 would be possible.
A Salesman at another yard suggested $18500 as the lowest but they have no stock due until February. I haven't mentioned this yet.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I do understand that they may have little room to move but I also need to ensure I get the right/best deal.

Thanks