Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask The Copper

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
In short, Police in Victoria can search your vehicle without a warrant - it all comes down to the circumstances

Certain acts of Parliament permits police to search without a warrant, if they have reasonable grounds/suspicion

One example is that if police supect on reasonable grounds that you’re carrying a drug of dependence, they can seach you/your vehcile under the drugs, poisons and controlled substances act

In NZ it is called the Search and Surveillance act , in which a vehicle may searched for contraband, drugs , drug utensils, weapons . You be surprised what some people would have .

Blueglow

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
Not sure on the reasons required for a car search, but I have driven from S.A over the border and coppers have pulled me over for a random breathe test...After it comes back negative, they have requested to search my car....Seeing as I have nothing to hide, I let them go...The way I see it, those with something to hide are the ones worried about their car being searched
True, it'd be easier to just give them what they want. But I'd hate to think that if a officer really wanted to give me a hard time for whatever reason and that spare screwdriver under the seat you forgot about becomes a weapon if they find it and then other things they can pick on. If it would be quicker to just say you dont consent to searches just to go on with your night.

Stories from my old man always used to be that the cops would search your car throw everything out on the road then leave you to put it all back in, would hate to go through that if declining a search could avoid it

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
True, it'd be easier to just give them what they want. But I'd hate to think that if a officer really wanted to give me a hard time for whatever reason and that spare screwdriver under the seat you forgot about becomes a weapon if they find it and then other things they can pick on. If it would be quicker to just say you dont consent to searches just to go on with your night.

Stories from my old man always used to be that the cops would search your car throw everything out on the road then leave you to put it all back in, would hate to go through that if declining a search could avoid it

If you are polite to them, generally they just have a quick sticky and let you go on your way....It's when you want to be difficult, they get "difficult"

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
that is true in every instance ,

I discovered this a few years back....Got pulled up interstate at 2 a.m. on my way to a funeral....They searched the car and found a tomahawk I forgot was under the passenger seat....I profusely apologised about forgetting it was there, so they threw it into my boot and let me go on my merry way with a smile and have a safe trip message....

This was in a Victorian town, 200 or so kays South West of Blueglow's location....

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
that is true in every instance ,
I agree . I went through an amber light some years back and there was a cop on the other side of the intersection so I just pulled over . He pulled up behind me and asked why I stopped . I said to save you pulling me over for going through an amber light . I got off with a warning because I admitted I done the wrong thing . But next time I wouldn't be so lucky .

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
It's not illegal to go through an amber light though is it?

As far as I know, cameras work on a 0.2 second timer after it goes red. If your car is over the white line > 0.2 seconds after the light goes red, you get done.
Must stop at an amber light unless it’s unsafe to do so

In terms of a red light offence, you can’t enter the intersection after the signal turns red. In other words, you can’t cross over the painted white line after the signal turns red. Doesn’t matter if it’s 0.1 of a second or 26 seconds after, the offence is complete

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm pretty sure there is a leeway of 0.2 seconds. Pretty sure I've been close at times :)
Camera's have a time delay but yep it's still illegal to go through orange light although they tend not to book you if you do.