Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask The Copper

madsav

Reaction score
Members Ride
your ass
you can fight it in court mate, throw a tennis ball at the wall and say how fast was that going? same deal regardless of what others might say the cop was guessing so in court he will lose. and then you can claim for wages off work etc for time lost due to his mistake.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Fairly certain most cops can check speed against their own speedo's and that's good enough, if he followed you while you were speeding n kept the same speed you might not have much of a case.

This method will hold up (in nz anyway) but they have to follow you for at least a k and fine you at minimum speed you did. Apparently there speedos are regularly calibrated. Assuming motorbike not push bike.

STEEV888

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 200sx.
well he was just going in the opposite direction. i passed him on a narrow bridge. it was just short of a speed camera i have been through over 3000 times and there was no way i was going to speed through a camera i ended up pulling over underneath the camera as it was the only shoulder on the road i was traveling on.

if i lose in court its a 2.2k fine. pretty annoying i must say, i have never had to deal with anything like this and i dont know anybody in real life that has also so not sure what to do.

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
You must have been hammering pretty hard for him to have turned around to pull you over, how much did he fine you for?

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Were you defiantly under the limit when he was following you?

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
As I understand it, in NSW, a Police Officer doesn't even have to look at their speedo, they can simply estimate the speed you are travelling and issue book you based on that. The only evidence I have of that is a 2003 report on speed enforcement:

Traffic infringement notices for travelling in excess of legal speed limits (or speeding fines) can be issued
following detection of excess speed in a number of ways: from stationary radars (including speed cameras);
through laser speed testing (LIDAR); from vehicle mounted radars in police cars – which can operate
whether the police car is moving or stationary; from speed checks using a police car speedometer; and from
an estimate of speed.

http://www.ombo.nsw.gov.au/publication/PDF/specialreport/Speedometers and speeding fines.pdf

I think there's a couple of factors to consider before you think about going to court, and information we need to know before making any kind of assessment.

1) It will be your word against his.
2) The speed limit in that location, if it's a 50 zone say, he's assuming you're doing AT LEAST 70kph which is a big difference. Unless you were absolutely positive you were doing the limit or below - I wouldn't bother.
3) Your previous driving record will be a deciding factor I'd think, if you've never been pinged for anything, it will most likely increase your chances.
4) You're speedo need only be accurate to 10% over 40kph, but if your car has rims that are too big, or massive tyres, it can throw that out somewhat - which will further damage your chances.

Based on only what you've said, *so far*, you've not got much hope simply because police are deemed as expert witnesses. You'd do well to get some actual legal advice and see what the precedent is here.

Kieran263

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais Wagon 6.0 A6
Wasn't jumping down his throat, but the way he asked it...you could tell where he was going with it.
You have no idea where I was going with it. I want to know what the fine is for overloading with passengers in victoria because the only time I
consider overloading is when my friends need a lift home from a club and there's more of them than seats in my car, this way I can warn them how much
it could cost them when they have to pay the fine.
So if anyone has an actual answer and won't assume I'm a mindless hoon, any idea would be great.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
You have no idea where I was going with it. I want to know what the fine is for overloading with passengers in victoria because the only time I
consider overloading is when my friends need a lift home from a club and there's more of them than seats in my car, this way I can warn them how much
it could cost them when they have to pay the fine.
So if anyone has an actual answer and won't assume I'm a mindless hoon, any idea would be great.

It's 3 points and $360.

Tell your mates to get their own car.

Clubs are gay.