Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the IT Network Engineer

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Vista needs at least 1gig to run, so it should be able to cruise along with 2gig. Maybe knocking it up to 3 or 4 might be an idea. Even then Vista is still a massive usage hog, where I have found Windows 7 not to be. I also found the Sidebar to be a usage hog and to slow things up in Vista.

Yeah, defiantly found that out. Computer store sold us computer 512mb RAM with Vista kindly installed man did it slow down.. Took like 5 minutes to load my documents.. Installed XP and it was ALOT better. The computers perfomance rating is 4.8 only because of the RAM.. It's lacking behind
Yeah I might upgrade to Win7.. Ive disabled the sidebar... Got the theme as '98 to try to stop as much lag as possible..

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Yeah I would look at upgrading to Windows 7. It should be cruising along happily with 2 Gig of RAM and that nice looking graphics card :D If you are still getting really slow performance with Windows 7, I would suggest maybe looking into another Hard Drive. As the years go on, hard drivers start to get dead sectors which can really slow down your computers performance.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
In reality Vista needs a solid 4GB to run. Windows 7 is a little less of a hog, I've found 2GB can pull it off, but 4GB would bring a much more smooth user experience.

Depending on what kind of maintenance you do to your OS. Can I suggest a fresh install of Vista itself? I ran Vista on a rig similar to yours with no problems, it's possible your registry and HDD are a bit all over the place. Start with a Registry Mechanic, then a defrag. After that, if it's still iffy, a fresh install - just make sure you back up your docos.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Do not tell people to start messing with the registry. The amount of problems I face on a daily basis because somebody's friend told them to get a registry cleaner is ridiculous. Vista is the fail of the operating system world. Either stick with Windows XP or move onto Windows 7.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Vista is the fail of the operating system world. Either stick with Windows XP or move onto Windows 7.

Agreed as per the following :)

OperatingSystems.jpg

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
'registry mechanic' and all other programs like it should be illegal. Hey people, just because something says its free and good doesnt mean its actually true.

All of these programs, and also many malware programs including spybot, adaware and a million others, pick up changes from normal and recommend you fix them. They mostly dont recognise when changes have been deliberate and necessary, they just say 'hey this dont seem right' or 'eeeeek this script could potentially harm the computer, quick, get rid of it'.

False positives (ie. 'potential' threats), which are then presented to you as serious threats and asking you to delete them. Necessary registry changes, which are presented to you as faults and asking you to repair them. You take their advice, and half your computer stops working.

If you dont understand the registry, dont go near it. There are no magic bullets, there are no programs that can magicly fix your computer. These kinds of programs are only useful in the hands of someone that knows what they are doing, in the hands of a novice they do you more harm than good.

When people tell me they have 'maintained' their computer with these programs, I dont even bother to try and fix them, its straight into a reinstall.

Windows 7 RULES, Vista should never have been released. I'll be interested to see Windows 8 or whatever they decide to call it..

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Spybot is OK if you don't install SDhelper and TeaTimer. If you do your in for a world of pain.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Can I suggest a fresh install of Vista itself?

He stated above that he has already done this.

Just upgrade to Windows 7 man, you wont regret it.... I mean what harm can it do if you're already running Vista haha (aka longhorn*cough*)

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Windows 7 RULES, Vista should never have been released. I'll be interested to see Windows 8 or whatever they decide to call it..

Just remember Windows 7 is built up from Vista (Vista is built up from the "idea" of longhorn). Windows 8 is pretty much Windows 7 atm, with a few GUI changes and more features added.... Stay tuned :) <----- This is coming from having a play around with the Developer Preview :)

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
As far as I can see Windows 8 is more for tablets and phones, I have heard that you can't even option back to a windows 7 desktop? if this is so alot of people will give it a miss